This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

In my years on campus, I am happy to say that I’ve met a few people who made my university journey more enjoyable, including Reggie Cash who is a student and a dream chaser.     

Her Campus uOttawa: What is your program of study?
Reggie Cash: I’m studying communications, which I absolutely love. When I started university, I studied theater; however, I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.

HCuO: What are your aspirations for after university?
RC:
I want to be a comedian, an entertainer and a motivational speaker. My talents include being in front of a crowd and making them feel happy. My goal is to be on TV and then slowly transition into acting. I want to be the next Terrence J. In the short term, I would be honoured to host the Canada Day event on Parliament Hill. I was born and raised in Ottawa and I believe it’s the most beautiful city in the world. 

HCuO: How have you worked towards your goals?  
RC:
In October 2011, I started a YouTube channel with a guy from my class. I was not patient at all and I was willing to get to the top at any price. At that point in my life, I was so eager for success. 

HCuO: What do you mean you were eager for success?
RC:
I was not patient at all and I was willing to get to the top at any price. I used horrible promotional methods. I would spam everyone on my Facebook and I made my share of enemies when I started. The feedback was not good at first and I would take them so badly. It was a rough beginning.

HCuO: How did you get your groove back?
RC:
My old partner Miguel came to work with me. Miguel helped to improve the quality of my videos and I started getting more positive feedback. One of my videos was even a vine last year with more than 2 million views.

HCuO: What are your videos about? 
RC:
I perform a variety of funny sketches by taking themes from my day to day life and exaggerating them. I love to include my friends and family in my videos as well. 

HCuO: What other projects have you worked on? 
RC: I’ve had the opportunity to host a few Cap cities with Dan DC, Carivibe and Haiti en fête. I also got the chance to have my own podcast. In 2013, I applied for the Much Music contest “VJ Search” and I finished in the top 30. Additionally, I finished in the top 10 of a contest with the radio station “Jump 106.9” where they were looking for a new host to work with Tony Stark. Currently, I host sports games on campus for the promotions team.

HCuO: How did you get those great opportunities?
RC:
Most of those gigs were referrals from my manager. Taking on a manager was something I needed to do because people take you more seriously when you have someone representing you. I love having someone who understand the ethics of what I do, and who shares my vision.

HCuO: What have these competitions taught you?
RC:
Losing was such a humbling experience. Those competitions taught me what I needed to do in order to be able to do what I’m doing now. It taught me how to behave in the public’s eyes and that everything you must do to succeed, you must do it right.

HCuO: If by some misfortune, you cannot achieve your dreams. What will you do?
RC:
I try not to think negatively, but if it doesn’t happen, my back up plan is to become a high school history teacher.

HCuO: What is your life motto?
RC:
Whatever you decide to do, don’t stay for the money. Stay because you love it.

HCuO: What would you like to say to our readers?
RC:
Thank you to all my followers; the support is what keeps me going.  I would like to also give a shout out to Mama Cash, Pops, my big sister and my little brother. You guys are my rock! I can’t forget my manager, Axel, and my homies Youssef, Gerry, Aristide, Eddie P, Evans, Robert, Ted, Sophie, Genevieve, Stevie baby, Don Diddy and Bashir.

We wish Reggie good luck in everything that he will do and if you want to follow his adventures, feel free to like his Facebook page and subscribe to his YouTube channel. 

Photo credits: All photos were taken by Genevieve Poitras. 

Editor’s Note: Some responses have been shortened for the article.  

SaveSave

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.