Opinion: Why Harry Styles’ 2017 Era is Undoubtedly the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Her Campus at U Ottawa acknowledges that we are located on the unceded territory of the Algonquin people. 

It’s no surprise that I have been a major fan of Harry Styles ever since my ‘fan girl’ days when he was a member of, you know, the band One Direction. And I’d be lying if I didn’t say his recent music is everything I could have hoped for and more. However, given his latest album releases, I have to admit something: well… Harry Styles’ first album is far superior to the rest of his discography. Now, I’m not discrediting that the most recent two aren’t great—because they are—I just happen to be very fond of the first one. Here’s why. 

the catalyst for his career

Launching in 2017, the album ‘Harry Styles’ unsurprisingly debuted at number 1 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart. This album ultimately achieved what it was meant to do, which was set him apart from the rest of the industry. From soft alternative tunes to pop-rock, his music is different from what we usually see in the pop music industry, and he is able to embody everything that a lot of other artists can’t. I don’t know much about the industry, but I can tell you one thing: this album was a catalyst for his impressive solo debut. 

what the songs mean to me

It is his best work. With layered vocals, Fleetwood Mac-inspired tunes, and beautiful guitar riffs, the album makes you feel all sorts of emotions. 

The first song, “Meet Me In The Hallway,” sets the tone for what’s to come. A soft but upbeat tune that can make you feel at ease, it’s truly the perfect introduction for an undeniably unique album.

You can tell he doesn’t stick with just one genre, either—throughout the album, you get hints of soft pop, rock, alternative, and everything distinctive in the music industry, which is why this album is one of my favourites.

“Ever Since New York” is a kinder, melancholic tune with mesmerizing lyrics, and then we make our way to “Kiwi.” Its intense rock-like feel was a great transition from the rest of the album’s softer points, and if you can’t tell, it is also one of my favourites. 

As you transition from song to song, each tune ebbs, and flows, leading you to end on a more peaceful note (pun intended), namely “From the Dining Table.” Overall, this album truly is a work of art, and I hope his next one embodies what this one accomplished—aka another “Kiwi,” please.

Madison Horner

U Ottawa '25

Madison is a lifelong learner, experienced communications professional, and a recent graduate of Algonquin College's Public Relations program. Now an undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa in the Joint Honours BA program in Communication and Political Science, she's as passionate as one could be–especially when it comes to politics, environmental issues & pop culture.