Presents for Your Partner That are Equal to Coal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
Believe it or not there is more than one way to punish someone for being naughty all year round, and there are much sneakier ways to communicate this than traditional coal under the tree this holiday season. Unsure of which gifts are unacceptable, or simply trying to communicate a message to your loved one? Read on! 
A present that is actually for you
This could be food that you both get to eat, or a season of your favourite show that you intend to make them watch. There are many ways that you can benefit from a present for your partner, however if you find yourself benefiting more then they are, you have found yourself really just buying a present for yourself. 

Mandatory household items 
Although toilet paper and cleaning solution are quite a bit handier then actual coal, gifting these items is basically the same. With this gift you are saying that you appreciate them about just as much as you appreciate the fact that you will be meaninglessly purchasing these items for the rest of your lives.

A gift card
By no means are gift cards unacceptable to gift to most people in your life, however, your partner should not be treated like “most people in your life”. Spend the time to actually get them something special, unless otherwise specified. If you don’t know your partner well enough to get them an actual gift, you shouldn’t be dating.

Nothing at all 
Now I’m not saying you need to spend money if you don’t have the resources to do so. However, I am saying that the least you can do is make a card and a craft or baked goods to show your partner that you love them.

Context is everything so if you have a reason or meaning behind giving something almost anything can be a present. This also means that if you are just buying someone something with little to no regard of if they will like it, you’re basically giving them coal. 

Remember, it’s the thought that counts!

Sources:
1, 2 & 3
Daughter, sister, student, friend. I have a fond love for good board games, napping and tea. I consider myself to be a professional apple cutter.