(Not so) Secret Off-Campus Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

One of the greatest difficulties of my university career, which I’m sure others can also attest to, is finding a place to study. Often times, all five floors of Montpetit rarely have vacant seats, alongside CRX and FSS which are generally write-offs past 11AM. In light of the difficulties of both finding single study spots and securing a study room for group projects, I have resorted to finding off-campus (not so) secret study spots to get the job done. Below I have highlighted a few of my favourite spots, for every type of studying from essay writing to group projects to those seemingly never-ending readings. 

1. Black Squirrel Books & Espresso Bar 

The Black Squirrel is a book lovers dream, as the back half of the shop and entire basement are filled with stacks and stacks of used books. Everything from psychology to old comics, the latest fiction to world war history, biographies to astrology, this shop has it all and at competitive prices. Recently, all of my books as gifts, study material, or for my own self-indulgence, have been purchased here. The front of the store has a soft, gentle ambiance with a beautiful dried flower decor on the walls, unique seating arrangements, accompanied by the unmistakable smell of apple cider. Their weekly events posting also highlights their live music venues, which take place in the evening, hosting everyone from DJ’s to acoustic singer-songwriters. This shop is by far the absolute best for a nice relaxing Sunday morning with a pot of tea and a new novel. It is definitely worth the trip past the usual student radius of Sandy Hill and Rideau Mall, to catch a glimpse of the local Glebe shops on your way to this book haven!

2. Happy Goat Coffee Co. 

There are many Happy Goat Coffee Co. locations to be found within Ottawa, all of which consisting of the perfect dirty chai latte as well as tons of vegan and vegetarian options. However, the staff at the Sandy Hill location (Wilbrod and Friel) are the reason that mid-afternoons at this location are so busy. As people travel into the shop, whether it’s a grab-and-go or long study grind session, the Happy Goat family are always cheerful and welcoming. Knowing many regulars by name, this shop gives off a very homey vibe, matched with local artist exhibitions as they are constantly changing decor. This is the perfect spot to meet up with classmates, as it is in close proximity to campus and is accompanied by a mix of large and intimate tables. Definitely grab a spot in the morning if you plan on sticking around for lunch as this place is usually jam packed with students and regulars alike! 

3. Little Victories Coffee Roasters 

This little hole-in-the-wall is located on Bank St in the heart of the Glebe, and is home to the absolute best Aussie Cappuccino. This fresh, minimalist spot is equipped with common and individual seating arrangements, as well as bright front windows which illuminate the whole shop even on the gloomiest of days. This shop is well known for their selection of decadent Suzy Q donuts (vegan and not) which, if you weren’t already aware, are an Ottawa staple. This shop has what many call serious “West Coast Vibes”, as your cares seem to drift away upon entering into this calming, green-filled space. Little Victories Coffee Roasters have also committed to creating as little waste as possible by offering a “buy in” program with HuskeeCup. Upon purchasing one of these cups from the cafe, it can be traded in for different sizes and shapes when you return to the store at no additional cost. Plus, the first coffee purchase in the cup is free, so buying local and buying sustainable has truly never felt so good! 

4. The Art House Cafe 

The best part of this cafe is in the name, with wall-to-wall art pieces in all sorts of mediums, shapes and sizes filling every aspect of this unique layout. This spot is also highly versatile, as it can be used for independent studying, reading, first dates, and friendly catch-ups. In no other cafes in Ottawa can you find bathrooms with anonymous “I confess” postings, ranging from deep secrets to outright laughable confessions. This spot has a beautiful patio in the warmer seasons, overlooking a quiet Centre-town area. Year round, this cafe reminds to be one of the only cafes where I actually take my headphones out to hear what’s playing. Shazam is never far from reach in the Art House Cafe, with music ranging anywhere from Childish Gambino to Justin Vernon, artists you’ve never heard of to artists you adore. This spot has introduced me to some of my favourite artists to date, all while providing a good selection of snacks, homemade soups and lattes, making the study grind all the more enjoyable!

Next time you or your friends are in a pinch to find a study spot, refer back to this article and try out one of these local hidden gems!

Julia Hoffer

U Ottawa '20

Just a happy gal!
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.