Not Quite Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The winter holidays are the best time of the year. Everyone seems to be excited for the celebrations to come. There are presents to be bought, cookies to be baked, and decorations to be put up. But if you’re like me, who now lives far from home, it can be hard to prepare the holidays when you feel so detached from the ones you love. With this year’s final exam schedule not ending until December 22, it can feel like the holiday celebrations at home will be short and abrupt. If this makes you feel down like it does for me, here are some easy ways to prepare for the holiday season while you are still here in Ottawa.

Decorate, Decorate, Decorate!
Nothing puts me more in the mood for the holidays than decorating. While you might not get the big Christmas tree that you might have at home, decorating can still put you in the spirit of the holidays. One of the best sources for decorations is the Free Store on campus. Here you can find many decorations, such as miniature fake trees, ornaments, garland, and many more decorations. Get together with your roommates or friends and decorate together. You will feel more at home and will be in the holiday spirit every time you see your space decorated.

Take a Walk Downtown
Ottawa has a great holiday lights display in the downtown core during the month of December. The light display, part of Christmas Lights Across Canada, has a large lighting ceremony on December 2, where they serve hot chocolate, beaver tails, and light the city up. Even if you can’t make it for the lighting ceremony, a walk downtown is sure to put you in the spirit. The lights are done in playful designs and will remind you of neighborhood light displays back home.

Pick Out Your Gifts Ahead of Time
With only two shopping days left after the last day of finals, buying your gifts for your family can seem a little stressful. Take a break from studying and hit the mall! With big malls such as the Rideau Centre, St. Laurent Centre and Bayshore Shopping Centre, there are plenty of places to find your gifts. If you prefer more handmade or artisan products, the Byward Market and the Glebe offer many mom-and-pop shops to browse through. If you don’t want to do your shopping here in Ottawa (or have specific stores at home that you like to buy gifts at), make a list of what you will be buying for each person before you go home. This will not only make you excited for your holiday celebrations, but also make your shopping trip at home much easier and less stressful!

Bake Special Cookies
The one thing that reminds me of the holiday season at home is my mom’s cookies. When I was younger, my mom used to bake dozens and dozens of cookies of every kind, all from scratch. When I miss her the most during the holidays, I like to make some of her special homemade recipes. It keeps me close to my family even though I live nine hours away. If your parents or grandparents ever make a special kind of cookie, see if you can make it yourself. You will not only have sweet snacks for those study streaks, but also will feel more connected to home.

Music of All Kinds
The thing that puts me most in the mood is most definitely holiday music. Usually my song choices are attached to memories, such as how every year my family belts out Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” on Christmas Eve. These songs bring back floods of Christmas memories, which instantly make me excited to go home for Christmas. This is a great way to get in the spirit and feel connected with your family and friends. It will help get you excited for the holiday season, even if you still have finals to study for.

Fear not fair collegiettes, the holidays are coming! Any of these ideas will surely put you in the mood and get you into that holiday spirit. So in between all that studying, remember to enjoy the season!

Picture Credit

Snoopy

Source

Ottawa Tourism

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!