This New Years’, do Your Resolutions in STYLE!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We’ve all heard the typical New Year’s resolutions before – exercise, eat healthy, be kinder, get better grades, drink less (I laugh at this one) – the typical ‘fresh start’ that everybody says they’ll accomplish in the upcoming months. However, I propose, that this year you try taking on your resolutions from the fashion and beauty angle. I’ve listed a few ideas that I intend to try myself, although I think everybody is unique and should take a shot at brainstorming a few of their own as well!

1. No More Heat

Put down that straightener, put down that curling iron and put down that blow dryer-time to do one of the best things you can possibly do for you hair: NO MORE HEAT! Yes, yes, I agree, this is one of the most difficult things a girl can do, so instead of going cold turkey with your hair products, give yourself some ground rules. First, only apply heat on special occasions: this includes general days when you feel like looking cute, hot dates and a great night out. Stop blow-drying your hair everyday or every other day. Next, when applying heat, always make sure you use heat-protecting spray! When I’m in a hurry, if I’m exhausted or if I’ve run out I’ll tend to skimp on using that spray, but you have to remember the damage that it saves you from. So whenever you feel yourself reaching for that straightener, consider that your hair might look good now, but in the long run you’re only causing dry and damaged split ends.

To give you a head start, I’ve listed website with easy and awesome no heat hairstyles!

2. Sales & Only Sales

Ok, listen up, this one will save you from a mountain of fashion debt and that post-shopping spree guilt – its time to start looking at sales and only sales. This resolution gets you in a mindset that can last forever, and it can end up saving you quite a bit of money. The rules: only buy clothes that are on sale OR from a thrift store. Now I know that you’ve got that special date or event coming up, and that you want to go buy an expensive lavish dress to flaunt, but I believe in you! There are so many beautiful clothes out there that are on sale that are just waiting to be picked up, and when you find that special dress you’ll feel proud to buy it. Try subscribing to different stores like Forever 21 and RW & CO, who release emails promoting events like their “50% of the whole store” lunch specials that they have every once in a while. These deals are great, and once you find them, you won’t be able to stop searching!

3. A Dramatic Change

The resolution of a dramatic change constitutes anything from hair to makeup to clothes. One of the biggest changes could be chopping those long locks off! A year of damaged hair and you want to start a-new? Cutting your hair short may sound absolutely terrifying, but once you do you’ll feel liberated and totally rock your new do.

I also recommend trying a brand new sense of style, something that you’ve always been scared to try but have always wanted to. Even if it’s not ‘in-fashion’ or ‘trendy’, if you like it, it’s the New Year so go for it! Also try switching up your makeup routine whether this be using bold eye shadows you love, or wearing no make-up at all.

If you decide to try any of these New Years Resolutions in Style, or you come up with some of your own, give a shout out to Her Campus on Facebook or Twitter!

Credits 1 2 3 4 5