Style > Beauty

My Experience with Keratin hair Treatment: is it worth it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you are considering trying a keratin hair treatment and you are not sure about it, then this article is for you!

I was born with very coarse and frizzy hair. I have always struggled to manage it, but it became extremely unmanageable when I became a teenager. I always had to take extra care of my hair by using masks, treatments, and special shampoos. For this reason, I decided to try a keratin treatment for my hair. I went to the nearest hair salon and got it done professionally.

During the application of the treatment, I could smell the strong chemicals, and it was a little hard to breathe, but I knew that this was going to be a part of the process, so I was patient. After the hairdresser finished with my hair, she asked me not to wash it for five days and to use a specific shampoo to increase the longevity of the results. My hair became so much less frizzy, and it became straight! I also did not have to straighten my hair after washing it as I did previously.

I think that getting a professional keratin treatment was one of the best decisions I have made for myself. In fact, it saved me a lot of time and energy. It also boosted my confidence, as I have been always insecure about my hair. The results lasted for around a year.

If you want to try a keratin treatment, you have two options: get it done professionally at a hair salon or order it online and do it yourself at home. If you decide to do it yourself, try to do it in a well-ventilated area and follow the instructions very carefully — keratin treatments contain a lot of toxic chemicals which have can potentially have health implications. For a less toxic option, you could try a formaldehyde-free keratin treatment (keep in mind that the results won’t be as strong, and the treatment will not last as long).  

I personally started doing my own keratin treatments and I am very satisfied with the results. If this is something you’re considering, I definitely recommend!

Shams Abed

U Ottawa '22

Just someone who finds joy in everything
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!