Life > Experiences

Must-do Holiday Activities in Ottawa This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The winter holidays are fast approaching and that means it’s time to get into the festive spirit. If you’re looking to spice up your holiday season with fun activities in Ottawa this winter, you’re looking in the right place! Here are my top five must-do activities this holiday season.

Enjoy the Ottawa Christmas Market

The annual Ottawa Christmas Market is making its way back this November. From November 26th to December 22nd, you can enjoy the spectacular light displays and market booths at Lansdowne. From the sparkling decorations to the food, vendors, and live music, there is much to enjoy with your friends, family, partner, or by yourself!

Explore the Sky with Santa

Ever wondered what it would be like to soar through the sky with Santa himself? Wonder no longer! Santa is working with Ottawa Biplane Adventures every weekend to take you on a flight over Parliament. Each trip costs $38 per person and Santa will be giving the proceeds to the Ottawa Food Bank. This once-in-a-lifetime experience will give you the chance to journey the Ottawa skies with Santa for 10-15 minutes while also giving to charity. Talk about getting into the Christmas spirit!

Wander into the Illuminated Streets of Downtown

As students, we can’t always afford to be lavish spenders on the more expensive side of holiday activities, but never fret, we can still partake in free events! Christmas Lights Across Canada is coming back to bedazzle the streets of the downtown core with thousands of Christmas lights. If you want to see the best spots, make sure to check out Confederation Boulevard, Wellington Street, Mackenzie Street, Elgin Street, and Sussex Drive!

Take a Magical Stroll Down Sparks Street

This holiday season, Sparks Street is bringing out its festive spirit with its storefront efforts. You don’t want to miss out on this free experience to see the Winter Wander displays. There’ll be plenty to view with its life-size presents, stars, and more! Plus, you can get some really great pictures to spice up your socials. You might want to start your journey at Le Moulin de Provence to grab a festive drink from their wide selection—you may also recognize it from scenes in some of your favourite Christmas movies shot right here in Ottawa!

Journey Through the Christmas Village

Stanley’s Olde Maple Lane Farm is hosting a Christmas Village this Season every Saturday and Sunday starting November 30th till December 22nd. If you’re up for a little adventure during your visit, you can head to the Stonehouse Gift Shoppe where you can request a sleigh ride from an elf through the forest to explore the elf village! Don’t miss out on this magical journey that’ll transport you to the North Pole.

We hope you make the most out of the holidays in Ottawa. Make sure to enjoy these activities and make new memories with your friends, families, and partners this Holiday Season! Wishing you a magical winter!!

Mina Sehri

U Ottawa '23

Mina is in her fourth year of Joint Honours in Political Science and History with Co-op. She hopes to pursue a career in law! She is a huge raptors fan and loves going for car rides or reading to unwind. She loves to travel and hopes to see the world one day.