Wellness

Menstrual Cups: How They Could Revolutionize Your Next Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

For all my gals out there, this one’s for you. As you all know, month mother nature likes to pay us a visit once a month and it is one of the least pleasant times of the month (at least for me). Not only is it super annoying but the cost of constantly buying pads and tampons really adds up. Thankfully, there is something that you can use that isn’t a pad or tampon which will not only save your wallet but also the environment. I’m talking about menstrual cups. 

Photo by Tobias Mrzyk on Unsplash

Menstrual cups are small funnel-shaped objects made out of silicone or rubber that can be inserted to collect your period. They typically are about 30-40$ but can last up to 10 years if taken care of properly (think about all the money you’d be saving in the long run)!

It might be a little tricky to insert the cup at first, but there are tons of YouTube videos and cartoon images to help. Pro-tip: wetting the cup first can make it easier for insertion. All it takes is some practice, but after a couple uses, you’ll be a pro. Another bonus is that they can stay inserted for up to 12 hours. This means that if you’re out all day, or if you sleep-in, it’s no big deal. Also, there is almost no risk associated with menstrual cups and toxic shock syndrome! 

Now you may be asking “how do I take care of my menstrual cup”. No worries, I’ve got you covered. Once you purchase your menstrual cup, the first thing you’ll want to do is wash your hands and then the cup with a mild, unscented cleanser. Then you will boil some water and let the cup sit in the running boil for about 6-10 minutes. This ensures that all the bacteria is killed and that the cup is safe for insertion. Note: After every cycle it is important to repeat the boiling step prior to storing the cup in its container. It is also important that each time you empty the cup while you’re on your cycle, you clean your hands prior to handling it and washing the cup with the mild & unscented cleanser before re-inserting it. (pro-tip: try and empty it at home, if possible, to avoid the discomfort that may come from having to wash it in a public sink).

Next question: How do I know which menstrual cup is right for me? There are plenty of resources online that can help you decide which fit is right. (This website is great for any questions you may have: https://tampax.com/en-us/all-products/menstrual-cup/)

Although periods suck, menstrual cups may be a way to make them a little less sucky for you, for your wallet and the environment. Please speak with your medical professional if anything occurs during use or to verify that the particular one that you picked is safe for you to use!!!

multiple yellow and pink balloons, some with smiles and frowns on them
Photo by Hybrid from Unsplash

Victoria Paller

U Ottawa '22

Just a west coast girl living on the east coast. I love fitness, cooking, hockey, baking, snowboarding and my cat. I hope you like my blogs :-)
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!