Career > Work

Making The Most Out of Your First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Entering the workforce might top the list of the most challenging and uncomfortable experiences we face as young adults. There are so many intense hurdles and emotions that tend to come up throughout the whole process from applying for jobs, perfecting your CV and cover letters, battling interview anxiety, landing your dream position, and trying to learn everything all at once to proving yourself to your boss and colleagues. As someone who is nearing the end of her second co-op work term, I’ve been through it all a few times. Trust me, I get it. Thankfully, I’ve learned a thing or two along the way that has allowed me to have a positive work experience that may help you as well. Whether you’re searching for summer internships, have already secured a position, or are getting ready for your next co-op work term, these tips will come in handy. 

1. Communicate, communicate, communicate 

Like most people in your life, your boss and colleagues can’t always read your mind. Use the time during 1-on-1 bilats or team meetings to ask questions (there are no stupid ones, especially when you’re new to the job), raise your concerns, and/or ask to work on specific files that interest you. Depending on the nature of your workplace, this could be drafting a specific memo, reviewing an important report on a topic you’re fascinated with, or working with a colleague on a cool project. 

On one hand, you get to develop your communication skills, autonomy, and resiliency, and on the other, it allows you to make a good impression on your manager and your colleagues. As an intern, you tend to get assigned a lot of “busy work” to kill time, i.e. tasks that others would rather prioritize less when they have other important, more pressing files to work on. If you do these tasks really well before asking for more impactful work, you will build a positive reputation for yourself in the workplace and really make the most of every work experience. 

2. Show initiative when networking

In any workplace, you’re surrounded by people who have come from various backgrounds. This is the perfect opportunity to build your network! As I mentioned before, show interest in what your colleagues are working on by listening to their updates during meetings and showing interest in their projects. Ask them questions and, better yet, offer support on some of their tasks. Chances are, they’re swamped by a million things at once so not only will they appreciate taking a load off, but they’ll be impressed by your interest. 

If your colleagues have work experience that you’re interested in, schedule a 1-on-1 coffee chat with them. Use this opportunity to ask them questions about what their pathway looked like, if there’s anything they would change, and what advice they would give to someone who’s interested in stepping into the same field as them. This is also a great opportunity to share your interests and give them a better sense of your skills and expertise which may land you more opportunities in the future! During my last co-op term over the summer, I took the time to chat with a colleague who was working in human rights—not only did I gain lots of valuable insight into what I wanted my future career path to look like, but it gave me a huge boost when it came to being offered a part-time position for the fall as well. She was also able to connect me to people she knew working in the field who had their own insights. So you see, networking works at an exponential rate.

3. Get involved with a student working group 

At my last job, I was fortunate enough to get connected early on with other students who were working in different branches of the department I was in. Throughout the whole summer, we met weekly to discuss our experiences from the most challenging to the most rewarding. These conversations culminated in creating a presentation for the executive committee that took place later in the fall. I think it was incredibly beneficial to connect with my peers who were in similar positions to each other because we were able to learn from each other and better understand how we could all improve our overall work experiences, not only for us but for the students that will come after us.

4. Take advantage of building your resume.

Keep a running list of tasks and files that you worked on during your internship. When you’re putting this all together, schedule a meeting with your boss or direct supervisor so they can give you feedback. Because they have a solid idea of what recruiters are looking for, they can help you properly articulate your skills and experience on your CV in a way that will encourage future employers to hire you. If you’re in a co-op program, this can also help make the process of writing your work-term report a lot smoother because you will be able to remember specific details that will enrich the assignment that you may have otherwise forgotten if you hadn’t jotted them down! 

5. Keep a healthy work-life balance

This is single-handedly the most important thing I’ve done for my own well-being in this last year and a half that I’ve been working. I know how difficult it can be to pull your focus away from your job, especially as a new employee, but doing this will truly make a difference in your mental health, your productivity at work, and your overall job satisfaction. Even more, you’ll learn to enjoy the week without constantly waiting for the weekend to come. Some simple things that I do to maintain a healthy work-life balance are going for walks outside during my lunch break, waking up earlier so I have some time in the morning to myself before I have to log on, and working out in the evenings. If you’re going into the office, try to find something you can look forward to on your breaks or once you get home. It doesn’t have to be complex; it can be as simple as grabbing your favourite coffee order or practicing a hobby you enjoy in the evenings. The key is to find an activity that gets you away from your desk, physically and mentally. It might take some trial and error to find one that works for you, but it’s worth it!

I hope some of these tips help make your early work experience a little easier to navigate, regardless of what field you’re going into. Remember, you are not the only one who has gone through or is currently going through this. No matter what happens, everything will work itself out.

Nina Popovic is a fourth-year student majoring in Conflict Studies and Human Rights, and minoring in Communications at the University of Ottawa.