Lucy Dacus Is The Perfect Songwriter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There will always and forever be a need for women telling powerful stories through art, and Lucy Dacus is a perfect example of this need.

One of three “boys” of the band Boygenius, and the artist behind one of the most thought-provoking modern indie-rock albums, Lucy Dacus has established herself as one of the most talented songwriters of our generation. With a warm, round, and resoundingly powerful voice that speaks volumes beyond the lyrics themselves, she guides us down to the tender core of each song.

Her most highly-acclaimed album, Historian, takes an almost short-story-esque approach to each song, telling stories of love, loss, and the shapeshifting qualities of grief. Through lyrics like “Was I a risk without reward or did I make you proud?” and, “I’m just calling ’cause I’m used to it” from her second track “Addictions“, she seamlessly describes painful truths that accompany the turbulence of heartbreak and loss.

One of the most powerful and beautifully crafted lyrical pairings comes from Historian‘s third track: “The Shell“. Here, Dacus describes the jarring sensation of feeling unfulfilled creatively and almost purposeful-less on her own. She sings; “If the body and the life were two things that we could divide / I’d deliver up my shell to be filled with somebody else”. I mean, wow.

In addition to the masterful portrayal of pain she is able to bring to the surface, she delivers layered instrumentals that lift each song to new heights through a magical blend of electric guitar, background vocals, keys, and horns. This, of course, is paired perfectly with her immediately recognizable alto voice, one that pulls you in with its depth yet vulnerable intonation.

On her 3rd album, Home Video, there is a different yet just as emotive use of instrumentals. The first track, “Hot and Heavy”, has a heavy vintage and deeply nostalgic feel to it, reminiscent of the band Arcade Fire with the use of synth, and I’m a sucker for synth.

She is, what I would consider, a master of “the build”. Her unwavering ability to use her musicality and words to create a climax that makes you want to burst into tears is untouchable. This talent, to me, is best exemplified through her fan-favourite track; “Night Shift”. If you’re looking to get into Lucy’s solo work for the first time, I will always suggest “Night Shift” be your first listen.

Her vocals are sublime, the emotion is painfully raw, and the instrumentals are beyond perfect. It’s all absolutely devastating in the most incredible way. I don’t wanna spoil Night Shift” too much, but if you want to have any of your heartbreaks perfectly described to you in a perfect song, prepare to be amazed.

Emma Kelly

U Ottawa '26

1st year communications student who loves all things music, film, and pop culture, and who also has a knack for fitness and sports.