Know Your Rights: The Collegiette’s Guide to Renting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Moving out of residence and into a place of your own is by far one of the best things about transitioning from first to second year.  Planning out what your room is going to look like, what kind of parties you are going to have, and gushing about how fun it will be to live with your friends all come with scoring a place of your own. However, there are also a lot of responsibilities associated with signing your name on the dotted line. Following these simple tips can help you not only ensure that you are getting a great place, but also keep you from dealing with headaches later on.

Tip #1: Study your lease very carefully! 

A lease, also known as a rental agreement, is a legal document that outlines the agreement made between you and your landlord. In order to be considered legal, your lease must contain the following things:

•   The length of your stay, most commonly a year
  •   The amount of rent per month, as well as how and when it will be paid
  •   The personal information of your landlord, including telephone number and home address
  •   Articles outlining the payment of utilities
  •   Any legal rules that apply, including those regarding snow and garbage removal
  •   The signature of all parties involved, including all tenants, guarantors, and landlords (a signed copy of which needs to be provided to you within 21 days or rent may be withheld)

Remember that after a year you are not obligated to sign another lease to continue to live in your rented property. You may go on a month to month basis for the remainder of the time that you wish to live there.

Tip #2: Make sure that your Landlord isn’t trying to put illegal restrictions on you!

Unless previously exempted from the Landlord Tenant Act, all Landlords in the Province of Ontario are restricted under the rules and regulations of the Landlord and Tenant Board. Designed to protect the rights of renters just like you, the Landlord and Tenant Board sets out what does and does not constitute legal restrictions upon your tenancy. These include:

Damage Deposits: Although rent deposits are legal, as long as the landlord asks for one that applies to your last month of tenancy, damage deposits are not! Don’t be tricked into forking over more money to your Landlord when it comes to this legal sounding common practice.

Roommates and Pets: Unless they are deemed to be dangerous or disruptive, roommates and pets are totally legal and cannot be banned. Though your Landlord may not prefer it, there is nothing in the law that keeps your significant other or pet from enjoying your apartment with you!

Entrance into your home: Once that dotted line is signed, your rental unit is considered by law to be your home. This means that a Landlord must follow certain rules before they can enter your unit. Most commonly, 24 hours of notice must be given before they can legally enter, unless it is for emergency purposes, and it is well within your rights to refuse entry to your Landlord if proper legal notice has not been provided.

Tip #3: End your tenancy the legal way!

Once you sign a year-long lease, you are legally required to pay for your unit for the entire 12 months specified. However, if you wish to leave your unit once that time is up, you need to make sure you give proper notice of end of tenancy.  At least 60 days written notice must be given to your Landlord or you may be forced to pay another month’s rent. To think of this simply, if your lease is from May to May, make sure to let your Landlord know by March 1st that you will not being staying.

For any further or more complicated questions, make sure to check out the extremely helpful website provided by the Landlord and Tenant Board. Containing everything from an FAQ section, to online databases of all forms related to renting, this website is useful for any collegiette who may need some more clarity!

Photo Credits:

1, 2, 3

Sarah Kirby is a fourth year Joint Honours BA History and Political Science student at the University of Ottawa. Born and raised in Southwestern Ontario, Sarah now is proud to call Ottawa home. Sarah is also proud to be the Editor of News for the 2014-2015 Her Campus UOttawa Team.