sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Joanie Benoit: Student and Fashion Designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Even though summer ended a few weeks ago, you might want to check out the work of Joanie Benoit if you plan to travel somewhere hot for Reading Week! Joanie, a second year Marketing student at uOttawa, is the designer of her own beachwear label.  

Joanie’s company is still pretty young, but she has a long history with fashion. She grew up in a small French town, Tracadie-Sheila, in New Brunswick. Her friends knew Joanie for her great style and love pour la mode, which earned her the nickname “Little Fashionista’.

Joanie’s story with design continued in high school, where she took a sewing class and her teacher suggested she think outside the box by designing for others. Quickly, she became determined to turn her passion into her life’s work. Instead of looking for a summer job like her classmates, Joanie started her first company: Mod’Elle. With the help of a regional entrepreneurship program, she created a business, meeting high demands from several clients. With such a success, she couldn’t see anything but the path in front of her leading to a career in the fashion world.

Besides studying at Telfer, Joanie has built a strong reputation as a Designer Coordinator for Ottawa Fashion Week. This position has enabled her to gain experience, create contacts and have an exclusive inside look into the world she has long dreamed to be a part of. Seeing her do her thing at Fashion Week this season was like looking at a maestro in front of his orchestra. 

For the last few months, Joanie’s been dedicated to her fresh and new label, Beach Beauty Essentials.  With this line, she brings women pieces of beach clothing and apparel. Every piece is unique and handcrafted. The bohemian inspired collection is as casual as it is chic.

When asked where she sees herself in 10 years, she answered that she isn’t the kind of person who likes to predict the future.  “In 10 years, many things can change! So, I prefer to live one day at a time and adapt myself to what is coming! I like the unpredictable and I’m not scared of the unknown!” Joanie says. She does feel good about the future and she will work her way to her dreams of success in the fashion world.

Go to the Beach Beauty Essentials website to check out Joanie’s designs: http://www.beachbeautyessentials.com/

For more info see her Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beach-Beauty-Essentials/163742780463708

Photo Credits: Joanie Benoit

Living and breathing Fashion! I'm making a mission of my life to find the new trends and styles à la mode by working with the most fascinating people I know... Twitter : JulienGBois