neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Going Down, We Met On Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You’ve heard of Tinder, right? The modern day ‘Hot or Not’ that allows you to simply go through endless amount of profile photos and select or nix each candidate? I’ll pretend you said yes, because Tinder is sweeping the UK and beginning to take over the states as one of the most popular and used dating sites. The real question is, is Tinder another ‘dating website’ but really used just for hook ups, or could it lead to true love? First, I’ll tell you a bit about how it works.

You’ve added the app and now it will be scouting you out via GPS, followed by accessing your Facebook account. This allows for Facebook to link your profile photos of choice as well as your age and some of your preferences. For example, shows you like, pages you like, etc. Luckily, there is a small area at the bottom of your profile on Tinder where you can add a little more detail. This makes Tinder slightly less vain, (I like to think anyways). Here, you could add anything from your hobbies to where you work. This narrows down the search for love a little more as without this information, all that is provided on each profile is a name and age.

Now the addiction begins! You begin to swipe either left (which means you don’t like them and thus won’t be able to start a conversation), or right (which results in a “liked” stamp across the prospects forehead and the possibility of a conversation to begin). Note, the conversation will only be possible if he or she has “liked” or right swiped you back. In this case, “We are a Match!” will pop up followed by an invitation to start a conversation or continue playing. 

As previously stated, I’m sure many people have used Tinder shamelessly to hook up, although I don’t think that is the only way we can utilize this innovative app. It is possible that some people genuinely want to meet someone and go out on dates or casually meet up for coffee. This app is designed for those who are looking for a quick and fairly easy way to meet new people, while killing time waiting for the bus.

Your profile on Tinder speaks volumes about what you’re using it for. Including a brief bio about yourself and photos that say you’re looking for dates instead of a one night stand have the potential to change the outcome of your Tinder experience. Can a right swipe really lead to a relationship? 

After chatting with quite a few people about this controversial app, opinions range from having experienced a few good dates to cursing the app and deleting it all together. It was also discussed that the stigma surrounding Tinder is the reason why people seem to have negative associations with the app. I think a lot more people would be using Tinder if it wasn’t most well known as a hook up source, and more of a dating app.

Is it possible that we can change the stigma of Tinder? If we can, would the opinions and results of those that use it be more positive? Let HC U Ottawa know what you think and tell us your stories about Tinder. 

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I'm a third year Honours Public Relations student at the University of Ottawa and am originally from Leamington, Ontario. I like to read, stay fit and spend time with family & friends!