I’m Finally Black This Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

By: @AnnetteSings01

Editor Disclaimer: This is an opinion piece and the views reflected in the article do not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus uOttawa.

Author Disclaimer: I have used some words some people may deem as harsh language but, as a Black individual, these facts are my life. It is not my intention to offend anyone but simply to educate.

No, I did not get a tan. I just simply have finally realized that I am Black. Wait, not just black… I am a Black Woman. Wait, not just a Black Woman, I am a Black Queen. Over the years I have definitely struggled between defining what it means to be a woman; what it means to be a woman from Africa moved to Canada, what it means to be a woman in the working industry, what it means to be a woman in the music and art industry, and what is means to be a Black Woman in the world in general. You see, being a woman has multiple layers to it and I could sit here and cut it down for you but in the year 2015, for you to not know would equal ignorance. Google it my friend.

I can guarantee that the majority, if not all, immigrants will say that they struggled between balancing their culture with the Canadian culture when they first moved here. Yes, Canada is multicultural, but becoming a part of this culture is not easy. I wrote about this on a previous article here, where I explained further what it’s like coming from a completely different culture/world and having to find that perfect balance between yours and theirs. I’m sure some of you reading this will understand. It stretches past Canada and touches on just anyone entering a new culture and having to get used to it. Of course it’s harder for minorities like myself because the issue of race plays in. I won’t discuss that in this article because it’s very complex, but the article I previously wrote which is mentioned above will explain that.

Watch this YouTube video!

So, speaking about having to find that balance between yours and theirs; part of my blood is Black, African blood. About a year ago, if you had asked me about my Black history, I would have said “oh yeah, Michael Jackson was super rad”. I knew nothing of Malcolm X, I knew only that MLK had marched for my freedom but did not know how difficult and heart breaking it all was and how seriously grateful I am for my ancestors, and for my generation marching and protesting in the streets (please go watch the movie Selma and shun the Oscars for their selections this year). Not many understand why Ferguson is so remarkable. Black people in America are jailed six times more than the rate of White people and still killed nine times more than the rate of Whites. In the words of Katt Williams, “this is no bullsh*t. Proof is here“. Each time one of ours is killed, we beg and plead and scream for justice but receive none – meanwhile our White counterpart can walk around a mall with a loaded rifle (again, google it if you don’t believe me). But, for Michael Brown, God rest his soul, to have not received justice was the final straw for us all. Blacks, Whites, and every race combined came together and marched and protested and are still doing so today.

I’m honestly not sure how to assemble words to express what I am trying to say but… I know myself now. I know who Annette is: a woman who loves Beyoncé, a Feminist and activist, and would rather stay home watching How I Met Your Mother than go to Tequila Jacks. I know myself as a Black Queen. A Queen whose ancestors, stretching back to Egypt, would shimmer in gold. Then, fast forwarding to the slavery era, where my people were hunted – yes hunted; google it because back then you could actually acquire a ‘Nigger Hunting License’ – and killed and belittled for the colour of our skin. Today we are in the new slavery era where if I tell someone who is not black not to say ‘Nigga’ they ask me why, as opposed to understanding that someone who’s oppressed would rather you did not add to that oppression. It’s the same logic as not wearing a Nirvana shirt if you only know one of their songs. It’s not for you so don’t try and be a part of it. Or how I have to work and acquire triple what my White counterpart has to acquire just to be considered for a job. Or being followed around Zara while shopping (yeah, that happened). Or for example, the man who was not allowed into Second Cup in Ottawa during the shooting downtown last year. Or the Black man who was attacked with a hammer by a White man in Sandy Hill (again, last year). It’s even in the way minorities are shunned if they do not fit the Western image and this is done subconsciously. Slavery may be over but we have a long, long way to go to end racism and especially, institutionalized racism.

Watch this YouTube video!

This Black History Month I know of my history and am so well versed in the details of the past and present. I am obviously continuously learning and trying to educate others but at least now when asked, tell me about your history, I can answer confidently with, “well, where should I start”?

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3

A media addict, an activist, a music lover, a singer, and a nappy haired black woman. In the great words of the queen, "I sneezed on the beat, and the beat got sicker." Always believe in the greatness of yourself. Nothing, is impossible. Twitter: @annettesings01 Tumblr: annetteejiofor.tumblr.com Blog: HonestlyAnnette.wordpress.com