I Promise, Your Hobbies Are Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It can be disheartening to hear what people think online of hobbies that are generally enjoyed by women. From viral clips of men debating whether or not women even have hobbies, to the general mockery made of women enjoying anything, it’s a bleak reality that girls might then hide their interests to avoid being made fun of.

Hobbies that are seen as feminine are generally mocked and ridiculed—not just by men, but by other women as well. Makeup-, fashion-, and beauty-related hobbies are viewed and perpetuated as superficial and vain. Women who partake in traditionally “masculine” hobbies like sports or video games are often told they’re “trying too hard” or “attention-seeking.” Women are always being put down for anything they might enjoy and it seems that the only “acceptable” hobbies that women can have are those that seem “motherly,” like cooking or knitting.

Misogyny contributes to the idea that there are rigid binary categories for girls’ and boys’ hobbies and that “girls’ hobbies” are silly and a waste of time for girls and for any boys who want to participate in them. It hurts to see girls lose their passion for the things they love because of others’ sour opinions. It’s even more hurtful when girls are the ones making other girls insecure about their interests. Women and girls should be able to enjoy things without being endlessly criticized for their existence. We should be able to support the hobbies of the women and girls around us without tearing each other down.

Take, for example, when it became popular for girls to learn and play the ukulele. It was commonplace to come across internet videos or memes of people mocking them for their interests. It’s frankly disgusting seeing that grown men are often the ones creating this content that targets the hobbies of young girls. There have been several viral videos on TikTok where men question whether women even have hobbies which is ridiculous as it’s not hard to see that women enjoy many things. The same men are also likely to have a hostile attitude to any hobbies a woman might have, so it’s really a double-edged sword.

This phenomenon doesn’t just pertain to hobbies, either. Any book, music, TV show, or other piece of media that boasts a dominantly female audience is seen as silly and a waste of time. The girls who enjoy them are seen as crazy fanatics while any comparable source of media that is enjoyed primarily by men is taken seriously and those who enjoy them are seen as passionate fans.

Hobbies that are typically enjoyed by men and boys are usually supported by the people around them, too. For example, we know that 1 in 3 girls in Canada drop out of sports by the time they are in their late teens compared to only 1 in 10 boys. Parental support plays a large role in retention as girls who were supported by their families were three times more likely to stay in their sport.

Sports Girl Soccer Player
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

I promise, your hobbies are cool, no matter what they are. Take pride in what you enjoy doing and don’t let other people’s attitudes about them get in your way. Whether you enjoy makeup or beauty, sports or video games, or whatever else, there’s absolutely no harm in shamelessly enjoying yourself through your interests.

Hi! I'm a new writer at HC and a Communications student at uOttawa. In my spare time, I enjoy crocheting and playing cozy games :)