The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

A new year welcomes a new semester. As someone who hasn’t taken a class (not counting summer courses) since December of 2022 due to my CO-OP term sequence, I definitely feel like I’m out of practice when it comes to balancing school next to my other life commitments. It’s safe to say that has had me feeling overwhelmed this last week while I try to find a good groove. That being said, these are the tips I am bringing with me to start this new term off on the right foot. While I’m planning on incorporating the advice I talked about in my article for the Freshman Survival Guide series, these 3 will be my priority in order to learn from last semester’s mistakes. 

1) be realistic about your workload

One of the biggest mistakes I made during my last semester in school was being too optimistic about the amount of time it took me to complete a task, particularly readings. Two of my courses were very reading-heavy, one of which happened to be pretty boring to me. I spent the whole semester in catch-up mode because I couldn’t stay on top of the readings, which definitely did not help me when I had to cram all that information into my brain the week before the exam. Luckily, I finished the semester with my GPA mostly unscathed, but I could have gone without the mental breakdowns. This semester, my goal is to break down my readings into reasonable chunks (for example, break down a 25 page reading into 5 pages per day) and start each reading the week before it is covered in class. This has allowed me to procrastinate less, since I know exactly what I need to get done and I don’t feel as overwhelmed. If you’re the type of person who feels the same way, try setting up a similar system for yourself to make the work less daunting. Generally, breaking larger assignments down into smaller action items can help you stay on track and motivated with your studies. 

2) find a balance between going out and studying

Human beings thrive off of social interactions. Of course we want to be with our loved ones to help fill our cups. However, balance is key. In my situation, I was going out so much in the first few weeks of the semester that I neglected my assignments and studying, which resulted in a pretty serious wake-up call when it was nearing midterm season. My intention for this semester is to find a balance between dedicating my time to studying and still going out with friends. Don’t go out so much that you are letting your work pile up, but make efforts to be with people. I like to FaceTime my sister and friends in the evenings when I have more free time, go on walks with my parents to chat about what’s on my mind, or go for coffee with my friends if we’re on campus together and have some free time between classes. These could be helpful activities for you to do as well. Of course, you can still enjoy a night out at the bars or a Sunday brunch date; just make sure your studying comes first.  

3) most important: ask for help

Looking back at last semester, a lot of my suffering could have been avoided had I just done one simple thing; ask for help sooner. It’s hard for me to realize that I need help when I need it, and even harder to ask for it. To some people, it may make them feel like they’re admitting a weakness or being an unnecessary burden on others. What we should all keep in mind (including me) is that there is no shame in needing or asking for help. We don’t have all the answers all the time; reaching out to your community and asking for help, no matter if it’s asking your professor for an extension or asking your friend for emotional support, makes it easier to cope in our everyday lives. 

Getting back to school after a long break is always tough. Here’s to hoping we all find the right rhythm soon!

Nina Popovic is a fourth-year student majoring in Conflict Studies and Human Rights, and minoring in Communications at the University of Ottawa.