How To Stick To Your 2019 Goals & Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Another year has come and gone, leaving everything that happened in 2018 behind you. And at the beginning of every new year, people sit down and write out the goals and resolutions they intend on accomplishing during the year. Most people get into the “New Year, New Me” mindset when they set their goals and resolutions. Myself, along with many others set goals at the beginning of every new year, and I for certain can say that I have had trouble starting and sticking to my New Year’s goals or resolutions.

This year, I decided to set my goals and to stick to them, so I looked into some of the best ways to start living the goals I’ve set and to get over the hump of having to stick to it.

So, what did people have to say about how to keep to your goals in the long term?

Just Get Started

The best way to keep your New Year’s resolutions or goals is to just get started. Once you get started, it’ll be easier to stick to your resolution or goal for a long period of time. One of the most important things about getting started is that there’s not set date to get started on your goal or resolution. You can start on your New Year’s resolution or goal whenever you want to. January 1st is not the official start date. Getting started whenever you can is the most important first step to sticking to your goals and resolutions long term.

Make A Plan

Another way to stick to your goals and resolutions is to make a plan on how to achieve whatever you want to do this New Year. Making a schedule on how to achieve your goals can be super helpful to see how you can succeed during this New Year. Going into the New Year with a plan to succeed can be beneficial, because now your goal has become realistic, and easier to achieve. Planning it in any way, shape or form can be beneficial. Whether it’s motivational sticky notes in the bathroom to get you to the gym, or a meal plan to eat healthy, any type of plan to help you achieve your goal will help in the long term.

It’s Okay To Have A Cheat Day

Having a cheat day from time to time is okay. If you’re trying to eat healthy, but you just can’t stand not being able to eat a piece of chocolate, just do it, eat that piece of chocolate. If you promised yourself you’d go to the gym every day, but you’re just not feeling it one day, that’s okay too. You’ve worked hard to keep your resolution and goal, it’s okay to reward yourself for all your hard work. After having a cheat day, however, try to get right back into whatever you set your goal as.

Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself

One of the things to remember while you go about your goals and resolutions, is to not be too hard on yourself. Everyone slips once and a while, that’s okay. There’s no need to be upset with yourself for not sticking to your goal completely. Being hard on yourself will get you nowhere in achieving your goal. If you fail at your goal, just brush yourself off and get right back to it, start again. It’s okay to fail once or twice, as long as you get back up and start again.

Don’t Go At It Alone

While sticking to your goal and resolution, having someone to do it with; whether that be a friend, family member, significant other, boyfriend, or girlfriend; can be a helpful tool to achieving your goal for a longer period of time. Everyone likes to have someone to go to the gym with, or eat healthy with, and so on. When you have someone to conquer your goals and resolutions, it because a lot easier and more fun to achieve.

After going through this list, using these tools this New Year, achieving my goal long term will be easy and fun.

Sources:

1

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.