This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all enjoy a good solo session between the sheets every once in a while.

And while self-love still gets a bad rap, your solo O’s actually have a number of benefits. Not only does masturbation to the point of orgasm release all those feel-good hormones that help reduce stress, it also strengthens your pelvic floor muscles and opens up the cervix to flush out any bad bacteria.

But did you know that your “me” time is also a step toward improving your sex life?

Some might think that masturbation hinders a person’s desire to engage in sexual activity with their partner. In fact the frequency of masturbation is usually a reflection of a person’s overall level of sexual appetite. This means that a person who masturbates is also likely to have an equally strong desire for sexual activity with their partner.

Current research has found that women who masturbated had significantly more orgasms, greater sexual desire, higher self esteem and greater marital and sexual satisfaction, and required less time to reach sexual arousal than women who did not masturbate. Experts even suggest that masturbation is one of the best ways to figure out what you like in bed, and subsequently, how to guide sexual partners.

Ian Kerner, Ph.D and bestselling author says, “There’s a strong correlation between willingness to explore your own body and bringing yourself to orgasm and being willing to explore with your partner and have orgasms together”. Similarly, leading sex educator and sex therapist, Laura Berman agrees that masturbation is one of the best ways to discover new turn-ons that can be further explored with a partner.

So, in other words show yourself some love and paddle the pink canoe.

Picture Credits:

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6

Sources:

SexualityandU, Psychology Today, Women’s Health