How to Deal with Cramped Seating and Tiny Desks with these 10 Posture Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Don’t move. Now take a moment to notice how you’re sitting right now.  Are you slouched over with your head tilted down looking at your laptop? Are your legs crossed? As students we spend a lot of time sitting at desks and looking at our computers.  If we’re not sitting properly, then it can put a lot of stress on our bodies, leading to short- and sometimes long-term pain in our backs, shoulder, wrists, and more. However, most articles on ergonomics give tips for better posture with the assumption that we have the ability to change the position of our desk and chair, and that we’re using a monitor with a separate keyboard and mouse.  While we may have the power to change our work space set up at home, there’s not much we can do about cramped seating and tiny desks in most classrooms (UCU Auditorium…am I right?). Well here are 10 tips to help you improve your posture in the classroom and at home.

1. Relax your shoulders. When we’re on our computers we tend to hunch over with our shoulders practically to our ears.  Do your shoulders a favour and let them relax.

2. Sit vertically or only slightly reclined.  We often start out with good posture, but after a few minutes we’re slouched over again. Be aware of your body and correct yourself.

3. Fix your screen.  Sometimes, there’s a glare or there’s not enough light, making it hard to see your computer screen. Make sure that you can see your screen well enough by adjusting the brightness or using a filter so that you’re not leaning forward to read.

4. Place your computer or books in front of you, instead of to the side, so that you remain sitting properly.

5. Don’t cross your legs. This is a habit that may be hard to break so if you must, don’t cross them for too long a time.

6. Keep your feet flat on the floor in front of you.

7. When possible, keep knees at or below the level of your hips

8. Keep a small gap between the back of your knees and the front of your chair.

9. Place your wrists so that they’re straight and aligned with your forearms

10. Support your forearms by sitting at a desk when doing work, rather than using your computer in your lap.

For more information on ergonomics, you can check out the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.  Sitting with proper posture may not feel the most comfortable or natural at first, but your future and older self will thank you for it. 

References:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.