Disco Ball High Waisted Jeans Party Fun
Disco Ball High Waisted Jeans Party Fun
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

HC at uOttawa Decades Fashion: 70s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

HC at uOttawa is releasing a series of articles about different fashion trends and styles throughout the decades. In this instalment, we’re looking at fashion in the 70s!

What Women Wore In The 70s

Clothes

Keywords: tie-dye, disco, chill, hippie, nature

In the 1970s, women wore bell-bottom pants, midi skirts, frayed jeans, halter tops, army jackets, tie-dye anything, ponchos, and peasant blouses.

Accessories

As for accessories, women during this decade wore things like scarves, chokers, and jewelry made from beads, stones, wood, or feathers.

Think: Olivia Newton-John, Dolly Parton, and Donna Summer

The Lalapurple Flower In Hair
Her Campus Media

The 70s Style Today

Examples

Margot Robbie

Miss Robbie, we know her from her recent role-playing Barbie in the new Barbie movie… but, believe it or not, she was seen in a bohemian-like long white peasant dress when she was attending the premier of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Zendaya

Another example was Zendaya in her 70s-inspired wide-leg brown blazer and trousers set with a flat cap that would’ve been perfect on a Disco dance floor!

How To: Incorporating 70s Fashion Into Our Style Today

What To Wear

To dress like you’re living in the 1970s, be sure to dress with high-waisted and wide-legged pants or midi-length skirts. Make sure to use fabrics in your everyday life like denim or invest in a suede-based piece. As well, finish off your outfit with a choker, scarf, or jewelry taken or inspired by the elements.

All in all

HC at uOttawa has released a series of articles about different fashion trends and styles throughout the decades. In this instalment, you’ve been taken back to the 1970s era. Hopefully, after reading this, you are inspired by what fashion was, how it’s changed, and how, in some ways, it has stayed with our generation. Check out the rest of our instalments, including the 1920s and 50s!

Emily Crandall

U Ottawa '24

4th-year Communications and Sociology student at the University of Ottawa.