A Guide to University: What I wish someone told me when I was a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Looking back at what will soon be my four-year career at the University of Ottawa, I do wish I knew certain things before I embarked on this chapter of my life. What if you could go back in time, and lend the first-year you some advice on how to survive university? What would you tell yourself?  Now that I am a senior and will soon be commencing my life elsewhere, I asked myself this very question. A bittersweet feeling resonates within all seniors around this time; it is the feeling of finally being comfortable with the university environment. Having discovered the campus and city thoroughly, making life-long friends, who are growing into their own skin and are finally ready to take a plunge into the real world. But enough of the small talk, here are some tips, tricks and pieces of advice, a compilation of things I wish someone told me when I was a freshman.

Exploit university freebies

There are many events on campus and, usually during the first weeks of the school year, people are attempting to solicit students to join clubs or sign up for memberships by offering them free food, merchandise and school supplies. Take advantage of the free stuff. You do not actually have to sign up for anything. Just listen to what they have to say and collect whatever they are offering and go to the next table and do it again! University is expensive, so why not take advantage of freebies when you are able to? When I was in first year, I would go to free taco nights and vegan lunches with my roommate, we were able to obtain some really good free food and meet new people!

Socialize

Socializing is an important part of university life.  When living in residence, it’s important to participate in group activities, if you are shy, try leaving the door open and allowing people who walk by to come in and say hello. It’s important to socialize and make new friends because it definitely enriches the university experience. Go to the common room and hang out there sometimes, or make dinner with your floor-mates. In class, try to make at least one “friend” per class. Not only will it make the lectures more comfortable and enjoyable, but if you are sick, or need help on an assignment, you have someone who could help you. Join many clubs and associations as well. Work towards a cause you care about and engage in conversation with people who share your views on important issues. Moreover, extracurricular achievements are vital for a comprehensive curriculum vita.

Take up a language

Try to learn a new language in your university career! As an Anglophone living in Ottawa, being bilingual is truly essential to landing a well paying job. You could also stay at a French residence such as Marchant for students who are lucky to be at a campus like uOttawa and immerse yourself in the language. Learning a new language is interesting and could benefit you in the future when you are looking for job opportunities.

Become “friends” with professors

Become friendly with a few of your favorite professors. Obviously do not be at their office hours 24/7, but raise questions and debates with them from time to time and especially go see them if you need any help with assignments. I have had a few wonderful professors at the University of Ottawa, especially in my first year, and I wish I had taken the time to get to know them a little better. In fourth year, you need letters of reference from your professors for Master Programs and other opportunities, so scope out the professors that really resonated with you and talk to them.

Explore the campus and the city

There are a number of places to study than just the library and many other places to eat than the cafeteria. To make your university life as comfortable as possible, find a study spot for you and your friends; a place where you can go to do group work. It has taken me a couple of school years to finally find that I do my best studying in my own secret hideout on campus, not the library. Explore the town solo. Stay safe and do not wander into suspect places. Using the GPS on your phone will keep you on the right track. For those who are directionally challenged at times, like myself, just going for a walk around the city will help you situate where the important landmarks are! For example, how to get from campus, to the bus stop, to the mall, to grocery stores, to coffee shops, to different campus buildings, places to volunteer at, parks, gyms etc. Going on a walk around the city will aid in helping you find cool restaurants, shops and other venues. In Ottawa there are multiple neighborhoods to discover like the Glebe, Westboro, Byward, and Sandy Hill. Being alone will allow you to rely on yourself to remember where places are.

Save money

Do not waste unnecessary money during first year. Sometimes the meal plan is not the right choice. Eating on campus occasionally, buying groceries and cooking once in a while is a good option. Ultimately, it is really a healthier option to forego the meal plan, buy groceries and try cooking. Students who gain the ‘freshmen 15’ in first year can likely blame the unhealthy food options on campus.  Purchasing groceries for a semester is usually cheaper than buying a meal plan anyway! Cooking with your housemates is a good way to socialize as well. Moreover, during first year, students feel obligated to buy every textbook and course pack before their first class. It is better to wait because the professor may change their mind on the necessary books for class, and might tell you that the book is either available online or at the library. Try sharing the cost of a book with a friend in class, and you can either alternate using it, or try finding a copy from a digital bookstore, which will be considerably cheaper, and you can use it on your computer, tablet or phone.

Some other advice would be to stay healthy and make a habit of keeping active.  Choose your roommate wisely! Making your best friend your roommate is not always a great decision. Also make sure to take your first year grades seriously. Classes are usually easier during the first year, so use it as an opportunity to obtain a high GPA. I asked one of my good friends, what advice she would give herself if she could, and she said she would tell herself that “school gets better after first year.”  This is true; it only gets better after the first year, and especially after the first few weeks. Enjoy university, and have the quintessential first year experiences, because in a few years you will be finished your undergraduate degree and, like me, looking out of this window on a rainy day in the Desmarais ‘Starbucks’wishing you read this article prior to your senior year.

Photo Credits:

http://vladdolezal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/passionate-friends.jpg

http://www.bcliving.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/node_image_small/files/articles/GVO-EDS-University.jpg

http://marivelous.me/storage/2012-09/120927-cafe%20orlin.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1348684875203

http://www.teleread.com/wp-con…