The Guardian Angel Necklace: An Accessory That Keeps You Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s an unfortunate truth to the everyday life of a woman that we may or may not be put into a situation we need to get out of. Whether it be a bad date or a dangerous situation, we’ve all needed to fake a phone call or text a friend in a time of need. But hopefully this nifty little gadget will help make things a little safer for everyone.

The necklace, aptly named Guardian Angel, is meant to help you get out of any uncomfortable or possibly threatening situation. If you’re ever in need of a quick get away, all you need to do is press the button on the silver pendant and it will set off a fake call through your phone. This allows you to step away from the interaction and, ultimately, make your exit. The only setup required is downloading the free app and following the in-app instructions.

If you ever find yourself fearing for your safety in any situation, whether it be someone’s unwanted advances or walking through a bad part of town, you can press the button and hold it for three seconds. This automatically sends an SOS alert to one or more of your pre-chosen contacts, telling them you are in a possibly dangerous situation. It will also send your GPS location so they know where to find you.

If necklaces aren’t really your style, they also offer a similarly fashioned bracelet. Since it’s not the most subtle, or fashion forward, you can always forego accessorizing with it and keep it in your pocket or somewhere you can easily grab it in hurry.

The bracelet can be purchased on the website for $120 USD. 10% of which is automatically donated to AWARE, a Singapore based organization dedicated to actions and research in gender equality.

Now, obviously 120 dollars can be a little bit steep for most people. However, money should never be a factor in your safety. So, as a free alternative to the necklace, there’s also an app.

Free to Download on both Google Play and the App Store, bSafe is an app centered around ensuring your safety whilst you come into contact with situations or people that make you feel uncomfortable. Much like the Guardian Angel you are able to enable fake phone calls, alert emergency contacts of possible dangers, as well as allow friends to track you via GPS whilst you walk through unfamiliar areas.

The world can be a pretty scary place, hopefully with the help of Guardian Angel and bSafe, you can start to feel a little more comfortable.

Stay safe, lovelies.

Sources:

The Guardian Angel, bSafe

Picture Credits

Cover Picture1, 2, 3