This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

My Black Queens know what this heading means. Deciding to go natural is more life altering and terrifying than deciding on what your career will be and yet, many of us have made the decision. Whether you do the big chop (all our brave ones), or a simple transition (like I did), there are some phases we all go through before we reach our final destination.

(1)  Thinking about going natural but remembering how good your relaxed hair looks with your weave.

(2) But then you think of all the fun natural hairstyles (crochet braids, box braids, twist out, flat twist, bantu knots, etc.)

(3) You spend hours looking at your hair in the mirror wondering if you could rock bald (the big chop thought phase)

(4) You start watching YouTube videos on natural hair tips for educational purposes

(5) You talk to your friends about going natural for further encouragement

(6) Then you finally decide on going natural and begin your journey. It may be long but it sure is worth it. For extra motivation and encouragement, check out the #NaturalHair #NaturalHairMovement #NaturalHairGrowth hashtags on social media.

Picture Credits

Cover Picture

A media addict, an activist, a music lover, a singer, and a nappy haired black woman. In the great words of the queen, "I sneezed on the beat, and the beat got sicker." Always believe in the greatness of yourself. Nothing, is impossible. Twitter: @annettesings01 Tumblr: annetteejiofor.tumblr.com Blog: HonestlyAnnette.wordpress.com