Gel, Acrylic, or Regular: What Manicure is Right for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I love doing my nails. I’m an avid DIYer when it comes to painting my nails. Why? Because I’m kind of cheap. Let’s be honest here, going to a nail salon every two to three weeks is expensive. Especially when you can pick up a $7 bottle of nail polish from the drugstore and do it yourself.

Over the last few years, I’ve done some pretty spectacular nail jobs on myself and my sisters, but sometimes it’s nice to get a professional to take care of them once in the while. At least, that’s what I convinced myself when I went to the nail salon with my mom for the first time since high school. Let me just tell you, there are so many options for your nails it almost becomes overwhelming.

So, let me break it down for you. Consider this a crash course in all things nail polish!

1. Acrylic Nails

Acrylic nails have been around forever and are very popular as a result. Basically an acrylic tip is added with glue to the tip of your nails. After this, a mixture of acrylic powder and liquid is painted over the nail bed and left to harden. Once attached, you can then paint them as you wish.

There are a lot of reasons why acrylics are a good choice. They help extend your natural nail length so they’re a good choice for people with shorter nails. Also, acrylic nails can be filed into any shape you like. Hello, almond nails! Plus, they are guaranteed to last a good 2-3 weeks, depending on how fast your nails grow.

All in all, they are many pros for acrylic nails, but there are also a couple of cons. One potential negative is that acrylic nails can damage your natural nails. Once the acrylics are removed the nail is often weaker and can be brittle. Also, a set of acrylics can cost anywhere between $20-$40 so you have to consider whether or not it makes sense financially.

2. Gel Nails

Gel nail polish or shellac, is relatively new and is quickly becoming a more popular way to achieve a perfect manicure. Shellac refers to a specific brand of gel nail polish while the “gel” is what gives your nails a glossy and smooth finish. After applying a special base coat, a thin layer of gel nail polish applied and then put under a UV lamp for about 1-2 minutes to dry and harden. Up to three coats are applied in this way before applying the top coat.

Beautiful and shiny nails are obvious pros for the gel manicure. The gel makes your nails strong, can last anywhere between 2-3 weeks and can be filled. This a great choice for collegiettes who are low maintenance when it comes to their nails.

Possible drawbacks to gel manicures is the removal process. To take it off, the top coat is filed off and your nails are soaked in acetone to soften. After this, the polish is scraped away. This can be very damaging, specifically because of the 100% pure acetone. The UV lights are also potentially harmful although no one has found a direct link between the lights and skin cancer. Still, women are advised to apply sunscreen to hands before getting a gel manicure. Lastly, gel manicures tend to be the most expensive kind of manicure, anywhere between $25-$45.

One potential alternative is Gel-like nail polishes. Many nail brands, like Sally Hansen, Nails Inc., and L’Oreal, have created regular nail polishes that mimic the gel effect without the UV lamps. Hurray!

3. Regular Nail Polish

Lastly, we have the simple manicure with regular nail polish. Obvious pros are the versatility of colours and designs, the lower prices to have it done, and the easy application and removal process. It is less harmful than the previous two and the perfect option for those who like to change up their nails as much as their style.

If you decide to get pampered for a change, manicures will cost you about $15-$20 or you can just DIY. If you want a lasting manicure, this probably isn’t the best choice. Regular manicures last maybe a week without chipping. But, c’est la vie! I’ve rocked a manicure for almost two weeks out of sheer determination.

With all these options, it’s hard to decide what you want and what makes sense. Hopefully this will help you make up your mind when you choose your next mani!

Did you get a super cute manicure that you want to show off? Tweet us or tag us on Instagram @HCuOttawa

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista