This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Ever feel like you just want to experience the same beautiful and clear vision as that woman right over there? The one a few seats away from you, looking flawless as ever while she writes her notes or reads a book? You know, that woman with the long lashes that look so damn real you just want to stare or go up real close and touch her face? 

Yes, that one! Well let me tell you a little story about her journey as to how she came to possess those beautiful lashes… that are indeed, fake! 

She first contemplated what life would be like having umbrellas for eyelashes. Your eyes would be protected from the sun, the rain, and the wind. You would look like you were wearing mascara 24/7 while staying #flawless. She knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to her regular lashes…and then she knew that life would never be the same.

Now, doesn’t that sound like such a wonderful anecdote about a girl who decided to vamp UP her lashes? And sometimes all it takes is just a whim or a wish for something new and exciting to get you in gear.

You would think that most young women would be interested in getting lash extensions. Well, you’re WRONG…sort of. Most women would love the opportunity to get those gorgeous eyelash extensions if it weren’t for the price and the incredibly long application time that feels like an eternity (but takes 2 hours). 

They are available for anyone who wants a fuller lash without the hassle of applying adhesives and constantly cleaning their fake lashes or or those who simply throw their falsies out and purchase new pairs each time. The thing that makes eyelash extensions so great is that although it’s a long process (and can be expensive) you still have the option to get them. Whether you simply want half extensions (only the upper lashes) or a full set (upper and lower lashes), YOU get to choose! And the best part is that if you don’t like them you can have them removed or simply wait until they fall out.

Eyelash extensions are synthetic strands of individual lashes that are curved to replicate your natural lash. They help add volume and length to your natural lashes. Each synthetic lash is attached to each strand of natural lash with the help of a specific bonding agent to give that voluminous effect while also adding length. 

Lashes seem to be a trend that has been going around through word of mouth, magazines, models, or simply trying to achieve the perfect length and fullness to your lashes-just like Yzma!

There has always been the question as to why women want to go through a very long and tedious process of getting lashes done. It’s because we want to try something new and get that volume, length and depth to your eyes. It’s the perfect way to shape your face and add that extra color around your eyes, making them pop out! Well, figuratively speaking. 

Here are a few pros and cons that you should consider before getting your very own eyelash extensions:

Pros:

• Getting extensions enhances the natural look, making your lashes look longer and fuller 
  • Not harmful to natural lashes
  • Extensions are made to replicate natural looking lashes, so you wont have to worry about people knowing that you have fake lashes on!
  • If cared for properly, eyelash extensions can last up to 2-3 weeks (depending on everyone’s day to day activities, and makeup routines). You can think about eyelash extensions the same way you would think about maintaining your hair colour routine. But, of course, you have the option to let the full eyelash growth cycle run its course and if you don’t like it, you don’t have to worry about it damaging your natural lashes or worry about permanency.
  • You can still go about your regular makeup routine (yes, you can wear mascara, although it isn’t a necessity because the extensions give the illusion that you’re already wearing mascara).
  • The process is pain free
  • They are available in a variety of lengths and thicknesses
  • They can be removed at any time

Cons

• Can be expensive: $125-$135 for partial set, and $175-$190 for a full set. And $55 for a fill (each time). *Prices for Lashfabulous.com
  • Takes a long time to get them on (2 hours)… but once you have the set of extensions, touchups only take 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Make sure you go to a certified technician to get them done and not a “side of the road” kind of deal

So, there you have it! Tell us what you think about eyelash extensions by tweeting us! 

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Hey my name is Madison, and I'm a fourth year English & Communications major at the University of Ottawa. I love fashion, beauty, and anything health related! I'm a frequent blogger (yay for tumblr), painter, writer, vinyl collector, traveler, shopaholic, and a hopeless romantic.