This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There are hundreds of protective styles that black queens can use but the one I love the most are braids. Especially Janet Jackson’s Poetic Justice box braids. Braids are amazing because they are a style on their own that look great on any black woman. I literally have yet to see one not looking fabulous and I know I never will. But, besides having to have the braids done and sitting on the ground, or a chair if we’re lucky, for three plus hours, actually having the braids come with it’s own pains. Here are the 12 most prevalent pains every black woman goes through with braids.

Calling the three plus people on your phone to see who is available to do braids can lead to anxiety-like symptoms at times.

Trying to find the right colour for your hair. 2B? 1B? B? A?!?!

The price for the braids and then the price to do your hair.

That feeling when your hair dresser starts doing your hair and you realize how long you’ll be in the sitting position you’re in for.

Touching your head and hoping the hair dresser is almost done but then finding out she/he is not even half way done.

Not being able to touch your head or rest your head on your pillow the day of getting your braids because… ouch.

Washing your hair is more like a life decision.

Trying to reach your roots while shampooing, conditioning, and/or applying Argan or Coconut Oil.

When one of your braids falls out.

When people want to touch your braids.

The struggle of putting braids in a bun without one falling out or sticking up randomly.

All around though, it’s all worth it because your hair grows much quicker, cuts less, and you get ready faster in the morning with braids. Not to mention how great they look on everyone.

Picture Credits

Cover Picture

A media addict, an activist, a music lover, a singer, and a nappy haired black woman. In the great words of the queen, "I sneezed on the beat, and the beat got sicker." Always believe in the greatness of yourself. Nothing, is impossible. Twitter: @annettesings01 Tumblr: annetteejiofor.tumblr.com Blog: HonestlyAnnette.wordpress.com