This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

When you’re going through a rough time, you go to your best friend for support. Your best friend is your partner in crime, you’re practically siblings! Unfortunately, not all friendships last forever. Friendship breakups can be just as bad, or sometimes worse than relationship breakups. It may feel like the end of the world right now, but trust me you will be fine.

DON’T: Play the Blame Game

We all do this and if you say you don’t, you’re in denial. Once the breakup happens, you will constantly ask yourself, who’s fault was it? Like most people, we blame the other person. Perhaps it’s because it makes us feel better when we blame someone else. But is blaming your friend going to re-kindle your friendship? It doesn’t matter who is at fault, it already happened. It’s time to accept it and start moving forward!

DO: Keep Other Friends Out of It

Going through a friendship breakup is tough, but don’t drag your other friends into it. How would you feel if two of your friends were fighting and they both came to you about it? Being the middle person is no fun at all, it’s just as bad as going through the breakup! Put yourself in their shoes, be more understanding of their situation. Going to other friends for support is one thing, but getting mad with them when they hang with you ex-BFF is just wrong. Friendship breakups affect everyone!

DON’T: Get Jealous

One of the most common emotions that people feel when going through a friendship breakup, is jealousy. Jealousy can be really difficult to overcome. You may see your ex-BFF out and about doing their own thing, having fun. It may seem from afar that they’ve moved on, but they’re going through a tough time too! The surface may seem smooth, don’t be fooled. This was your best friend at one point, you know them better than anyone! Remember Freud’s iceberg theory?

DO: Make Changes

Once you overcome the jealousy, it’s time to start making some changes. Starting with your ex-BFF. Contact them so that you can talk face to face about what happened. Let them know how you felt, explain why you reacted the way you did. Perhaps the two of you can patch things up! It won’t happen over night, but it’s worth a shot. If you do try talking to them and it doesn’t work, it’s time to move on. And by move on, I don’t mean criticize their Facebook profile. Change up your routine, do something you haven’t tried before. You’ll be so busy, you’ll forget all about the breakup.

DO: Purge

Friendships come with a lot of baggage, literally. It’s time to get rid of all of that baggage once and for all! Clean up your Facebook profile by un-tagging your ex-BFF in photos, or deleting the photos all together, the choice is yours. Anything that reminds you of your friend or anything that they gave you, toss it! Except maybe that really cute top they gave you for your birthday.

DO: Turn to Your New Support System

The great thing about making new friends, is creating new memories.  Make plans with your new friend(s) and your other friends. Adding a new friend to the entourage can be a lot of fun! When times get hard, turn to them and you’ll be glad you did. If you ever feel like you’re starting to miss your ex-BFF, write down all the things you like about your friends. Not only will this distract you from thinking about your ex-BFF, you’ll appreciate your friends even more.

Losing a friend can be really tough. There will be days when you’ll want to just give in and call them, other days you’ll really hate them. Just remember, it’s not as bad as you think it is. Be grateful for the friendship that you had with them, and the lesson that they’ve taught you. In the nearby future, you’ll be able to hang out in the same group and be neutral. Who knows, you may even become in friends again!

Picture credits

http://technologyuninhibited.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/979d312433080817_ebd5f5007f81d859_unfriend.jpg

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/92/a2/92a20d81cc844011231c19df65309810.jpg

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ds-photo/getty/article/199/33/dv1659039_XS.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdcokeEJMW1qf0uk2o1_500.gif