Style > Fashion

Depop: The One-Stop-Shop for All Your Thrifting Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve always loved the idea of thrifting. Unique pieces, affordable and environmentally friendly — yes, please! That is, until I get overwhelmed by the racks upon racks of options, most of which I would never actually wear. For a while, I thought that my thrifting dreams were over… but then I found Depop!

Depop is a UK-based website and app that allows people to create stores and sell their clothes online. Although it wasn’t intentionally made for thrifting, it’s quickly become a number one stop for thrifters; Depop currently has over 30 million international users on their platform!

When you first open the app, it prompts you to input the brands, styles, and price ranges that suit you. Then, it magically creates a “Style DNA” page with customized recommendations of pieces you’re sure to love. My “Style DNA” page has shown me everything from cute jeans to 2000s inspired tops and Audrey Hepburn-inspired jewelry!

Depop is easy to use because its easy access messages system allows you to directly communicate with sellers. This makes it easy to ask about sizing and materials before you make your purchase.

And, as if that wasn’t enough, Depop also houses many small clothing businesses that suit various styles. I’ve bought from an Ottawa-local Depop seller who makes her own corset tops, which are absolutely stunning! Since last year, many people have been looking for ways to support small businesses. Depop is a great way to help out and get some cute clothes at the same time.

Next time you get intimidated by thrift shopping (or just hope to find some cute new clothes), sign up for Depop!

Gen is a fourth year student majoring in Health Science: Population and Public Health stream. She loves yoga, travelling, caring for her grandparents at home and video games!