Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Co-Star: The App That Knows You Better Than You Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Like most astrology-lovers, I am a very frequent user of the app Co-Star. If you haven’t heard, Co-Star is a fun astrology app that gives you a personalized daily horoscope.

When first signing up for the app (don’t worry Android users – there’s an app for iPhone and Android) you’re asked to put in a bit of personal information, like your birthday, the time zone you were born in, and your time of birth in order to give you the most personalized, and accurate horoscope possible. 

Feature Hero Zodiac Spending Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Upon opening the app, you’ll see a generalized horoscope for the day. As soon as you click on ‘All Updates’ the app brings you to a page with “a hyper-personalized” daily horoscope, according to the app’s developers. 

For instance, my horoscope for September 30th states that I’ve been having trouble with routine, thinking and creativity, and my social life (for the record, I’ve definitely been having troubles getting into a routine – even though school started weeks ago.) Following this brief update, it goes more in depth about your day, your week, your month, and “the general theme of your life during this period.” 

At the bottom of your horoscope, it divides your day down further into several sections. For me, on the same September 30th it divided my sections into the categories of self-respect, magnetism, supernatural grace, stress, uninspired, and social anxiety. Clicking on any of these categories brings you into a deeper analysis of your daily horoscope describing why you’re feeling uninspired, or why you’re feeling extra stress on your daily life. 

Co-Star gives you an entire page dedicated to your chart. It determines which houses you’re in according to your signs and the planets. When I first signed up, I learned that my Sun sign was in Taurus, my Moon in Virgo, and my Jupiter in Taurus, along with several others. This portion of the app even allows you to connect with your friends to determine if you share any of your charts with theirs. 

The app also asks for feedback on your horoscope. It gives the option on each page to tell the Co-Star developers whether the horoscope was accurate, and useful to you. One of my favourite things about the app is it lets you save parts of your horoscope for that day. And while there’s always the option of taking screenshots, this save feature allows you to save that specific part of your horoscope to the app, where it sorts all your saved horoscopes by date. 

Another great Co-Star feature is the daily notification, usually offering a piece of advice, and  reminding you to check your app daily. Most notifications will leave you puzzled, which I believe is a great tactic to get you to open the app and check out your day at a glance. A new feature of the app, which I often take advantage of, is something called Chaos Mode. In which, the app allows you to write a notification to yourself, and states “your note is safe in the ether; expect it to surface again when the time is right.” 

Courtesy: Farzad Mohsenvand

For any sceptics out there, the Co-Star developers work with engineers, data scientists, astrologers, as well as many more people of different titles to determine the personalized content for each app user. Don’t believe me? If you’re interested in astrology, or learning more about yourself, it’s worth it to check out the app. I’ve always been somewhat of a believer in horoscopes accurately describing my life, and I find Co-Star has only deepened my belief, and I find it truly helps me understand why I’m feeling uninspired or stressed, and more. 

Honestly, Co-Star is an app that gets opened at least once a day on my phone (which can’t be said about many others). The app may seem complicated, but it’s extremely easy to maneuver and is especially worth it if you are an astrology fan, or even someone who enjoys reading their daily horoscope. 

I recommend this app to everyone. Especially those who don’t necessarily believe in reading the stars. Why not give it shot? 

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!