This Can’t Be Real: The News Websites That Are Bluffing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
Internet trolls are everywhere.  Some celebrities have died more than once, and apparently Ebola turns people into zombies.  How can we know what websites are giving us true information, and which ones are enforcing “don’t believe everything you read”?  

The following is a list to decipher whether a website is providing accurate information, or being the ultimate Internet troll.

1.  The Onion: America’s Not-So-Fine News Network

If you are on The Onion News, just stop.  This is the ultimate trolling website making satire out of real news.  They post articles entitled “Wrong Turn Finds Man On Poor Side of Mall”, “Ovulation Calendar Just The Ticket for Rekindling Couple’s Lagging Sex Life”, and “Street Harasser Haunted By Woman Who Got Away With Dignity Intact” (The Onion).  Those sound pretty legit, right?  The Onion has an entire section dedicated to political, sports, and technology satire. Here is my personal favourite. In conclusion, unless you want a laugh, stay clear of The Onion.

2. The Daily Currant: The Global Satirical Newspaper of Record

I mean…it’s in it’s name!  When About Entertainment asked the online magazine if it’s news stories were real, the answer was “No. Our stories are purely fictional.  However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire, and often refer and like to real events happening in the world”(About Entertainment).  Put into the same category as The Onion, this website is not telling you the truth, but aims to poke fun at reality.

3. Clickhole

I actually just discovered this website when I read this article. No, your Ty’s are not about to burst with baby spiders.  Clickhole is a website that is a mix of Buzzfeed and The Onion with quizzes, and satirical articles.  It’s actually a parody website associated with The Onion (Daily Dot).  The Daily Dot however, is a reliable source for Internet information.  Instead of publishing satire, they publish news, and information on all things Internet.

4. The New Yorker: The Borowitz Report

For those of you who know Andry Borowitz, you know.  For those of you who don’t, he’s an American comedian that writes for The New Yorker.  The New Yorker is a legitimate newspaper, and probably one of the most read.  But be aware that The Borowitz Report is totally, and completely satirical.  Each article is written by Andy Borowitz, and without a doubt is meant to poke fun.  Be weary of this website, and just make sure the author isn’t Andy.

5.  What about everything else?
The best thing to do is trust the titles you know.  The Toronto Star, The Ottawa Citizen, The BBC, The Huffington Post, Bloomberg, TIME, the list goes on.  If they’ve been referenced in a class you’ve taken you’re probably safe.  When you read things online that could be controversial, check the web address, and any references.  Chances are if it’s not a story being published by a local, municipal, or national news source, it’s probably not real news.  Most of these official news sources have phone applications with monthly subscriptions, but the best way to fill your “in-the-know” hunger is to follow these sources on Twitter.  You’re able to read articles for free, AND you’ll know you’re not being trolled.  Save the trolling for Tumblr.

Live long and prosper, Tumblr trolls.

References:
1, 2, 3

Pictures:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6