This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Mandalas are geometric motifs used in Hinduism and Buddhism to represent sacred ceremonies and meditation. They’re commonly employed as tools for spiritual journeys, despite the fact that they’re considered to represent the universe and other gods.

Mandalas are used for a variety of purposes, both artistically and spiritually, and appear in a variety of forms and sizes. There are four main Mandalas, each with a distinct function: the outer mandalas, teaching mandala, healing mandala, and sand mandala.

In fact, mandala-making, as well as the process of colouring in, has been connected to stress alleviation in psychological studies. In particular, according to psychologist Carl Jung, mandalas can be regarded as a portal into the psyche, in which these designs helped patients concentrate and grow personally.

Colouring as a calming activity has grown in popularity in recent years, with a rise of adult colouring books dedicated to mandalas. According to a new study, these forms encourage people to be more conscious because brain-sensing technology may be able to reveal the relationship between mandala painting and mindfulness. Several studies have demonstrated that colouring mandalas increases emotional well-being and self-expression while also fostering self-reflection and acceptance of flaws. Claudia Dauden Roquet, for example, was fascinated by how we connect with our ideas and emotions and began meditating and making mandalas.

As we’ve seen, art practises embrace considerably more than just colouring; as a result, participants praise the process of colouring mandalas for its availability, convenience, and sense of accomplishment.