Body and Mind: Super Sammies Are Not Just For The Boys.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

For those unfamiliar with Tom Haverford’s food identification system (check out Parks and Recreation!), sammies, sandoozles or Adam Sandlers are the lunch time staple of households everywhere: sandwiches.

Why sandwiches? Sandwiches offer what full fledged meals seldom do… a large number of food groups, convenience and portability, and no need for a microwave- though a George Foreman doesn’t hurt! Which makes this handful of nommin’ a great lunch or snack time option for the grab-n-go collegiette.

And as we’re in the midst of mid-term season and thanksgiving leftovers to last us till the end of time (thanks folks back home), there’s no reason to suffer from starvation or flash cooked foods at the local grease-joint. No, my smart and hungry-for-knowledge-and-good-food comrades! Today, we discuss the art of sandwich making and take back this beloved ritual from the boys, and jazz it up to get us through these stressful times. Lets make mom proud! 

First: some ground rules 

Keep it simple. This is really just a pre-cursor, but keep the ingredient list simple. That keeps the process quick, efficient, and the result fantastic. Nothing would suck more than finding out that banana was not a good idea in the bean dip sandwich the hard way. I personally love three-ingredient sandwiches. Its simple, tasty, and quick to make!

Start with a good base. Like all painters can attest, good art starts with a good canvas. Translation: get bread to be excited about. I personally enjoy a whole grain bread of some sort, or a decent white sliced loaf. Pop that bad boy in the toaster for a sturdy base and to help spread your fillers evenly. For a gourmet feel, try an open-faced sandwich! Half the carb, and twice the Instagram potential! Open-faced sandwiches would be amazing on bagels, breads and my go-to, pitas. Tip! If you’re like me and don’t foresee yourself eating toast for a month straight, freeze leftover breads! Toss it in the toaster at the lowest setting for a basic defrost or higher for more crunch 

Prime even. Just like when you paint your room, you add a coat of primer to make the good stuff stick. That, my friends, is where mayonnaise, cream cheese, herb cheese and even hummus make their grand entrance. Prime your toasted slices with an even coat. You want to taste your spread in every bite so make sure to use a nice, thin coat of spread. There are some who hesitate at spreading the filler on both slices. Does one want that much taste? Does it overpower the fillers? Whatever you choose, give your sandoozle an even coat. Nobody wants mayo dribble running down your chin. Note: The list is actually endless. Anything spreadable constitutes as a sandwich spread in my opinion, keep experimenting to find your favourite. My fave? Hummus. It makes a stellar dairy-free and vegan alternative to mayo and cream cheese, and who can resist its protein deliciousness that come in red pepper, garlic or plain? 

Stack em up. Thus begins the precarious game of food Jenga. The balancing act of assembling your fillers is a tricky one, as it determines the eatability (made that word up!) of your Adam Sandler. This in itself has a set of rules in the order of stacking, so tread carefully. First up: greens. The greens provide the rest of the fillers a good leg to stand on, and the spread holds the leafy greens in place, so you don’t have the awkward lettuce leaf poking out of the side of the sandwich, prompting you to make polygonal shapes with your mouth for the simple act of chewing. Second: proteins. Every good sandwich has a protein (mushrooms for vegans, meat for omnivores, eggs for vegetarians…) Proteins must definitely go on top of the bed of greens as they’re the lumpiest, and by adding more on top you can even out the playing field for the slice of bread that tops it off, giving you a nice level slab of lunch. Next: everything else. Tomatoes, Cucumbers and then more lettuce. While many would say to put the wet stuff in the middle, I’m partial to putting tomatoes closer to the bread so when I do squeeze to chomp, the tomato is slightly absorbed by the bread, reducing the tomato-squirt that follows. Tip! For the wet stuff like tomatoes and cucumbers, I always like to pack it separately if I know I won’t be eating my sammie soon. I’ll wrap it in saran wrap or toss it in another sandwich bag and pack it in the lunch box with the sandwich to add in later, so that I don’t end up with a wet slop.

Bells and whistles, then package. If you’re like me and need to eat roughly 5 lbs of food in a sitting, you may want to add fun stuff on the side. Chips, veggie sticks, or a bean salad is always a good idea. Just be sure to pack it separately to keep your piece of art dry. Which brings me to the next important rule. Packaging. You want to preserve your make-the-boys-jealous meal so that when you’re ready to nom, you’re excited. Pack your art in a lunch box for sure, to prevent it being flattened by your Mac or bio textbook. Nobody wants a sandwich pancake. 

Second: some of my tried and true recipes to get you motivated

1. Spinach-Turkey-Hummus
What’s not to love? The spinach is packed with nutrients and vitamins and offers a fresh, slightly bitter and crisp taste. Not to mention the color. And set against a red pepper hummus backdrop? Divine. Top it off with turkey, a lean meat, and you can’t be beat. The protein and nutrient content in this sammie will definitely fuel not just the body but the mind. And this makes a pretty open-faced sandwich too! I love it on a pita and its easy to transport the ingredients on its own to assemble on site!

2. CLT (Chicken-Lettuce-Tomato)
Some may not find the task of cooking bacon very appealing so the CLT is a great alternative! Using any chicken in the fridge, like that rotisserie chicken you thought you could finish, strip off large shreds of meat, or slice off a decent hunk of the chicken breast, and add to crispy lettuce and luscious tomato. This goes great with a tangy mayo and a hint of lemon.

3. Chicken-avocado-tomato 
Another mayo match: the chicken-avocado-tomato. This one, so similar to the CLT is a filling alternative, where the avocado provides a nice creamy texture as well as fatty acids and antioxidants that would definitely help your brain out, and not just your belly!

4. Apple-Turkey-Cream Cheese
I was mildly scared when I tried this one, but oh boy, this one makes me lament being lactose tolerant the most! Using the Laughing Cow Cheese, or any cream cheese really, layer on turkey, then apples. This is fantastic on a tortilla or pita, served as a wrap making this one the ultimate grab and go. The crispiness of the apple is off-set by the creamy cheese and balanced perfectly with the saltiness of the turkey. Dig. In. 

5. Smoked Salmon-Cream Cheese-Cucumber
This gourmet goodness is best served on a bagel, open faced or otherwise. The cucumber adds a cool sensation to the smokiness of the salmon, and the cucumbers crispiness is perfectly matched with the creamy cheese. I love slicing up my cucumbers nice and thin for this one.

6. Tomato-Pesto-Mozzarella
Omnivores everywhere will want to sink their teeth in this vegetarian yumminess. No one can deny a grilled tomato on pesto, covered by warm and melty mozzarella cheese. Mmm mm mm! The sweet and garlic combo can’t be beat and this is the kind of sandwich you fire up, or less dramatically, plug in that George Foreman for.

Now that I’ve whet your appetites ladies, its time to hit those toasters! Get creative and build your art and get your grub on! Fuel your mind and satisfy your belly and your eyes and create a masterpiece to be excited about. These recipes are packed with good-for-you tips and ingredients that will go a long way during those wee hours of the night studying…or lurking around more Her Campus U Ottawa articles and blogs. Set those toasters on 5, assemble the troops, and get stacking! Its time to take back the quick lunch.

Happy eating!

Photo Credits:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com