Sunset over the National Arts Centre (Ottawa,ON)
Original photo by Stephanie Reed
Wellness

Beating the Winter Blues: Things to Do This Winter to Keep Your Spirits High

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As the weather gets chillier and the days get shorter, it can be hard to not want to crawl into bed and hibernate for 19 hours a day. While letting your body rest is vital, especially as a student, it will eventually start to conflict with your other obligations. After years of experience living in cold cities, I’ve discovered some fun, wintery activities that help prevent that snowy fatigue.

Photo of front of Tabaret Hall in Ottawa, ON taken from across the street through metal fence
Original photo by Catrina LeBlanc

Do a FACE MASK

Skincare has become a prominent hobby of mine since starting university. As I’m sure many of you do, I fall victim to violently dry skin when the snow begins to fall. To combat this, I like to pick up a few face masks from Shoppers Drug Mart (or Sephora, if I’m feeling bougie), and I meditate while the mask settles into my pores. Masks with the words “hydrating” on the packaging are key. Cozying up with some fuzzy socks, a rom-com, and a face mask that smells like lavender always makes me feel so warm and calm, while also helping my skin stay healthy! It’s a win-win!

bundle up for a walk

Wait, what?! That’s right, being outside in the icy cold might just be the trick to brightening your day. Of course, it’s important to stay as warm as possible, so always wear proper footwear, a coat, and a hat/gloves. Luckily, there are some super cute winter accessories on the market right now! Regardless of the colour of your scarf, going outside for a stroll in the snow and seeing how beautiful nature can be really helps me stay grounded and appreciative of Mother Nature and her seasons. Even if there isn’t any snow in your area and you’re in the stick season (Noah Kahan reference, LOL), getting fresh air and taking in the wonders of the environment are sure to make you smile.

FIND A FUN WINTER SPORT

Having lived in Canada my entire life, I’ve had my fair share of public skating sessions and playing mini-sticks on the icy recess yard. Let me tell you, my fondest childhood memories consists of sliding around the patchy, makeshift ice rink at school with my friends and chucking snowballs. That feeling can be harder to replicate the older you get; but it’s not impossible! Taking part in a winter activity can give you something to look forward to doing with friends (or by yourself, you do you!), all the while keeping your body healthy. There are many community centres that offer a free public skate at certain points in the week, indoor or outdoor. If skating isn’t your forte, cross-country skiing and curling are also widely accessible and fun sports to try.

try a new recipe

After a day of walking to class or work in the cold, all a person could ask for is a nice, warm bowl of soup. Or, maybe even some chilli and corn bread… I’m getting hungry. There are so many delicious comfort food recipes on Pinterest to try out, anywhere from savoury meals to sweet treats. If you’re living in a dorm without access to a full kitchen, as am I, there are still fun ways to put winter-y twists on things you consume. Adding a dash of cinnamon to your coffee, or experimenting with different tea flavours are still fun ways to keep life interesting and your heart warm.

conclusion

Winter is often people’s least favourite season, due to the cold weather, but personally it’s one of my favourites. It reminds me to take a step back from whatever’s going on in my life and simply admire the seasons changing. Plus, so many cool holidays happen in the winter! Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year’s, Valentine’s Day… so much joy!

Elisabeth is a writer for Her Campus at uOttawa. She publishes articles about lifestyle, entertainment, and her own personal experiences. Aside from Her Campus, Elisabeth is a first-year student working to earn an Honours BA in Communications. She wishes to use her degree in a corporate setting as a marketing specialist. In her personal time, Elisabeth is very passionate about music, fashion, visual art and literature. Her friends would describe her as talkative, compassionate, and always looking for fun. She is also passively studying plant growth, in hopes to become a good house-plant mother.