Artists Who Make a Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Think of your favourite singer, songwriter or band. Think about their music, their image, their public presence. What’s your favourite thing about them? One of my favourite things about my favourite artists are their charitable contributions or their desire to make the world a better place. I like to see how they use their fame and fortune to help the world they live in. But did you know some of your favourite artists are more charitable than you know? Here are just a few who contribute to making our world a better place to live in.

U2
While the Irish band U2 have had millions of records sold, many albums put out and several top-grossing tours, they also are heavily involved in the (RED) campaign. The (RED) campaign is a charitable organization that aims to eliminate the presence of AIDS from the world. It was started by U2 frontman Bono and lawyer Bobby Shriver in 2006. 100% of the money raised through this organization goes towards work done to achieve their goal of an “AIDS FREE GENERATION.” You can see (RED) products sold in many places, such as Starbucks and Apple, as well as sit in special seats at U2 concerts where all the money from the ticket purchase is donated to (RED).

Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga is another artist who emerged in the 2000s with fun hits such as “Just Dance” and “Poker Face”. But she also started her own foundation called the Born This Way Foundation, which aims to create a more accepting society and embrace individuality. The mission is directed toward ending bullying in our society and creating a more loving environment for everyone. Lady Gaga has also recently been an advocate for stopping sexual assault, as was evident in her Oscars performance during which she brought survivors of sexual assault on stage with her.

Jack Johnson
Jack Johnson’s hit “Banana Pancakes” may make me hungrier than ever, but he also creates hits in the charitable world. He has created many organizations dedicated to saving the environment, such as the All At Once Campaign, which promotes sustainable local food systems and aims to create plastic free initiatives. On top of this, Johnson frequently donates 100% of his tour profits to charities.

Zac Brown Band
Zac Brown, leader of the Zac Brown Band, created Camp Southern Ground, a campground that allows children to overcome difficulties, such as those of academic or social nature, so they can reach their full potential. Zac Brown donated 360 acres of land in Georgia for the camp and hopes that in the future, it will become a full-fledged facility that helps care for children with learning difficulties and other disorders.

Beyonce
Queen Bee has done it again! Not only is she flawless, she’s also very charitable! She is the co-founder of two charitable foundations, the Survivor Foundation and Chime For Change. The Survivor Foundation, founded with Kelly Rowland, was created after Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana and destroyed the homes of millions of people; it held many events that helped rehabilitate the city of New Orleans, such as the Music World Cares Christmas Carnival that gave 300 low income families a day of fun. Chime For Change was created to empower women and girls through health, justice and education. Beyonce also supports many charities through donations and appearances.

While the music world can seem shallow and selfish, it is important to recognize those who try to give back to the world that gave them so much fame and fortune. While this is only a handful of the hundreds of artists who give back to the community, it gives a glimpse into all the good that comes out of the entertainment world. Think back to your favourite artist and google what they do to give back to the world. You’ll be surprised with what you find!

Sources
Red, SheKnows, Consequence of Sound, Paste Magazine, Look to the Stars

Photo Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!