samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Apparently, This Is How Much Sex You Should Be Having

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We can all agree that after a night tangled in the sheets, we wake up a little happier. Cheery even. This is no surprise considering the number of benefits a healthy sex life has.

Not that you needed any convincing but research has linked a good romp with a slew of body-boosting side affects including contributing to a stronger immune system, sounder sleep, decrease in stress and even lighter periods with fewer cramps. And of course a healthy sex life is known to elevate your mood.

Why you may ask?

Believe it or not, exposure to semen may be the cause. Researchers at the State University of New York found that college aged women who reported they “never” used condoms (other forms of contraception were taken into consideration) had better moods and fewer depressive symptoms than those who used condoms. According to this study, the tissues in our vaginal walls are highly absorbent and semen contains a host of mood elevating chemicals like endorphins, oxytocin and serotonin.

So does this mean sex is related to happiness? And if so how many times do you have to slip between the sheets for optimal results?

Amy Muise, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto Mississauga found that among couples more sex is linked to higher levels of happiness but only until the frequency reaches about once a week. After this point the link seems to level off. As for you single folk, there seems to be no significant relationship between the two.

Another study by Carnegie Mellon University even found that couples experienced less happiness and a decrease in their enjoyment of sex when asked to double its frequency.

This just goes to show you sadly can have too much of a good thing.  

HCuOttawa reminds everyone to practice safe and consensual sex!

Sources

Psychology Today, Science DailyScience Direct

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4