This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You may have noticed the many tables set up in the UCU promoting Greek life. Passing out calendars, brochures, and even candies, these fraternities and sororities are currently holding their recruitment period, also known as rush. However, this semester, a new organization has joined in on the fun: Alpha Phi.

‘Alpha Phi is a sisterhood of outstanding women supporting one another in lifelong achievement’ – Alpha Phi’s mission statement

Alpha Phi International Women’s Fraternity was founded in 1872 (141 years old!), at Syracuse University. With over 160 chapters across North America and over 200,000 sisters, this sorority has a lot to offer.

The story behind the colonization of this fantastic organization on our campus started in 2010 when Kappa Zeta Psi sorority was founded. The local sorority thrived, and endeavored to become a part of an international sorority that matched their values and ideals. After three years of effort and dedication, striving to become the best they could be, Kappa Zeta Psi is proud to announce their affiliation with Alpha Phi. 

This colony will become the seventh Alpha Phi chapter in Canada! In fact, the oldest Canadian chapter (108 years old) is located at the University of Toronto.

Here are reasons why you should be Alpha Phi:

1. You will be a charter member, joining the founding class, which is a rare and incredible journey to take part in.

2. You will be a member of an amazing sisterhood for life that will become your family away from home.

3. You will have the opportunity to take leadership roles within the chapter and have a direct impact on the future of the sorority, leaving your legacy.

4. You will contribute towards improving women’s heart health, Alpha Phi’s philanthropy, all while having a blast with your sisters.  

5. 200,000 sisters to go visit other chapters during road trips across Canada and the US!

Need I say more?

Alpha Phi’s values are sisterhood, scholarship, service, loyalty, leadership and character development. With these 6 values, Alpha Phi’s members are well-rounded individuals who give back to the community locally and internationally.

Not to mention, their colours, silver and bordeaux, are practically identical to our University colours, grey and garnet. This means you’ll be able to show GeeGee and Alpha Phi pride at the very same time! It must be meant to be! 

Convinced?

Come out to their rush events up until the week of January 20th! Check out their recruitment calendar below!

Sign up for recruitment here! : www.bealphaphi.com

Want to know more?

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ottawaalphaphi

Twitter/Instagram: @OttawaAlphaPhi Alpha Phi website: https://www.alphaphi.org/Home