Alexandre Giroux: SSA’s very own Social

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With SFUO elections held in February and Fed Bodies elections in March, our campus was filled with campaigns and posters. One of those candidates, Alexandre Giroux, was just elected as Vice-President of Social Affairs of the Sciences Student Association (SSA). Not only has he been involved within his student association for the past year, he also was just elected on the BOA for Sciences and has been an active member of Foot Patrol for the past three years.

This young man from Fredericton, New-Brunswick (East Coast Represent) is just finishing his 3rd year in Honours B.Sc Specialization Biochemistry option Microbiology and Immunology minor in Business Administration, yes that is his program, I think I just lost my breath. He first got involved on campus as a volunteer for Foot Patrol, providing walks home to students for their safety. He was even at one point the Operation Coordinator of the Foot Patrol services. In 2nd year, he decided to become a guide for 101 week and gave time and shared his enthusiasm with incoming students. He liked the experience so much that last summer, he was the Logistics coordinator of the SSA, which is a position that aims to assist the VP Social in setting up and organizing the big task that is 101 week. This position was only available for the summer, but that did not stop Alexandre to help out throughout the year with the organization of event.  He also was elected as the Biochemistry representative, which allowed him to speak up for the students of his program.

Being recently elected as VP Social, he has a lot to offer in the upcoming year. His event management skills have always been there ! Indeed, he was an event manager for a local music company in his hometown, allowing him to put on shows for local artists. He has been in the event management field for the past 5 years ! He explained that even though he had this experience, he needed more time to fully grasp the position of Social especially when it comes to organizing 101 week. The current VP Social had encouraged Alexandre to run for Logistics coordinator to learn more and eventually run for VP Social. With two 101 weeks in hands, Alexandre is more than ready to offer what is best to his first years !

This young student explains that what encourages him to put this much time and effort in planning events is the good feedback he gets and the fact that he has the chance to give the students on campus the events, and therefore the student experience that they deserve. Speaking of what he has in stores for next year, Alexandre mentioned the importance for him to put together creative events during 101 week. He does not want events that have been redone and not worked on, he wants to bring a fresh, original social calendar and that’s what we like to hear. He did not want to disclose his ideas but he revealed to us one of them: every year, the SSA has a dance in the Courtyard on campus. 101 ers usually pick up outfits from Value Village and it is always a good time. However, this year, Alexandre wants to partner with other Fed Bodies to organize a massive dance party and an unforgettable night for 101 ers.

Curious to know more about this East Coaster ? He loves to cook ! (This is not a lie ladies) He is a fan of the Food Network and cooking videos on You Tube. He likes to find good restaurants in Ottawa and when he has the time, he loves to make a good homemade meal.

Alexandre has already impressed many of us by his enthusiasm, passion and devotion to improving student life on campus. Being a Sciences student, he knows how hard it is to get involved and participate in events: timing is everything. But he is more than ready to work hard throughout the upcoming year and make a difference on campus !

Photo credits:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152695221305385&set=a.10152695215590385.1073741825.503420384&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152135304590615&set=t.888490614&type=3&theater