“Alexa, Turn It Up!” — 15 Songs You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Sometimes, all we need in life is the right song. If you’re in need of an inspirational boost, look no further! Whatever you’re up to, music makes it better. Here’s a list of 15 hand-selected songs to help you find your groove. 

1. “Stressing” by Bennett

Are you tired of stressing about things you can’t control? Do you struggle with asking for help? Listen to “Stressing” by Bennett. This song, in my opinion, is about letting go of the burden of uncertainty and the thought of failure.

2. “Video” by India.Arie

Most of us aren’t the average girl in the video, and we shouldn’t strive to be. Arie is a self-love anthem, and you’ll adore it. Hit the max on your speaker with this one while you get all done up for a night out.

3. “Best Thing” by Inayah

You went through a breakup, and you were heartbroken…but now you realize you’re better off. Give this one a listen.

4. “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child.

A classic… “Survivor” by Destiny’s ChildThis one doesn’t have to be purely about an ex-partner, it can be about letting go of a toxic friend, family member, or anything/one holding you back from reaching your true potential.

5. “Mistakes of My Youth” by Kwesi

All your experiences have made you who you are. Listen to “Mistakes of My Youth” by Kwesi to reflect on your past (and vibe while you’re doing it).

6. “I Love Me” by Demi Lovato

An ‘I love me’ IS enough, remind yourself of that each day. Demi Lovato’s hit “I Love Me” is sure to give you the push you need toward a little extra self-love when you need it most.

7. “Glory Days” by Aloe Blacc

This one will make you feel like you’re on an island. Aloe Blacc’s song Glory Days is a feel-good, fun tune about making it out of the maze and finding marvel, as he says.

8. “Ring Off” by Beyoncé

We’re bringing it back to 2014 with Beyoncé! In “Ring Off”, she praises her mom for freeing herself from her marriage when it had clearly stopped working. This song is a message to women that there is life and love after a toxic relationship.

9. “Strength Courage & Wisdom” by India.Arie

Another India.Arie one, ’cause why not? Give “Strength Courage & Wisdom” a try, it’s about giving the… well… strength, courage, and wisdom the path it needs to shine through.

10. “I’m Trying” by Mikey Jose

Mikey Jose is a really great artist, and his lyrics are beautiful. Listen to “I’m Trying”, lay back and let the music speak to your heart.

11. “Workin’ On It” by Meghan Trainor ft. Lennon Stella

Are you working on building your self-esteem? Most of us are, and it sure as heck isn’t easy, but we’re trying. “Workin’ On It” by Meghan Trainor ft. Lennon Stella might speak to you. And remember, you’re incredible as you are, even if you don’t always feel like it.

12. “The Takeaway” by Tawnted

Life isn’t meant to be perfect, and neither are you. You’ll miss the takeaway in life if you focus on perfection. Listen to “The Takeaway” by Tawnted for some inspiration.

13. “Try Again” by Aaliyah

We’re bringing it back to the early 2000s. The chorus of “Try Again” by Aaliyah is where most of the motivation lies. As she says, if at first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again. Tragically, Aaliyah passed away the following year, so this song is closely tied to her legacy.

14. “Follow the Sun” by Xavier Rudd

Tomorrow is a new day for everyone; with a brand-new moon and a brand-new sun. “Follow the Sun” by Xavier Rudd is such a good tune. I like to play this one in the morning while I set my intentions for the day. It’ll make you feel as bright and warm as the sun.

15. “Best Thing I Never Had” by Beyoncé

This last one is going to be a two-in-one special from the one and only Beyoncé! “Best Thing I Never Had” is about feeling relieved to have left someone who didn’t recognize your relationship’s potential. Some see this song as a sequel to the 2006 single “Irreplaceable” since the two songs are thematically similar. Both are awesome, so turn up your speaker and jam out.

Hi there :) I'm a fourth-year student at uOttawa pursuing an Undergraduate Degree in Communications. My passion for writing goes far beyond my academic and professional career – I love art, poetry, storytelling, and everything to do with creative writing. I hope you enjoy my work!