Style

Advice From A Shopaholic: How To Shop on Black Friday Like A Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s my favorite time of the year – the crowded shopping malls, Christmas music already blasting from store speakers, and the sweet smell of consumerism in the air. Nothing beats strolling through the mall with a warm drink in a holiday cup in hand and your arms full of shopping bags. Maybe I’m just a shopaholic here, but I’ve been doing Black Friday for a while now and have made MANY mistakes along the way. Today I’m here to show you just how to properly do Black Friday shopping. 

DO: Prepare Ahead of Time

Most of us follow our favorite shops and brands on social media. If you don’t, take a quick peek at what they’re offering. Make a list or a mental note of their deals. I use Black Friday as the perfect time to shop for gifts, and if that’s what you plan on doing, make sure you think in advance of who you’re shopping for, how much you plan on spending on them, and a very rudimentary idea of what they’d like. This will keep you on track when the big day comes.

DO: Check Out Online Deals

Often times, online deals are just more convenient. They have more stock and it’s less of a gamble. Plus, the sale often extends more than a day. Probably the best part of it is if you hate people, you can participate in Black Friday from the comfort of your home rather than having people invading your personal space in the stores. 

DO: Shop With Friends Online

If you can get free shipping when you spend over X amount and you spent less, buddy-up with someone and combine your orders for free shipping. You both saved on the cost of shipping, and they can e-transfer you back right away. 

DO: Size Up If You Don’t Want To Try It On In-Store

Either too small and you can’t wear it, or it’s a little too big and it’s just a tad baggy. Baggy is in style right now anyway. I never have the patience for fitting rooms, even when it’s not Black Friday. So I learned to trust my gut. If something looks too small or like it’ll just fit, it’s probably best to size up. Nothing is worse than buying something you don’t fit in, feeling sad, and telling yourself you’ll “fit in it one day”.

DON’T: Buy Things You Don’t REALLY Need

This one is kind of a given, but on Black Friday, if you’re like me and you get easily swayed by a sale sign, be tough with yourself. Ask yourself, “Do I really need that extra goodie bag with items I probably won’t use if I spend an extra X amount of money?”, or “Do I really like it or do I just like it because it’s on sale?”. My apartment is full of items I impulsively bought thinking I needed them (*cough* 50-piece Tupperware set *cough*) so know what you need and what you want, this is why the preparation step is so important. 

DON’T: Browse In-Store

That’s what online shopping is for. Save yourself the hassle of having to squish into a tight space with strangers and save them the hassle too. You’ll be a lot more comfortable at home searching through pages of deals. 

DON’T: Put it on Your Credit Card If You Can’t Pay It Back Right Away

Nothing beats good credit. Don’t fall into a financial rut just because of a purchase you didn’t really need. 

Take heed of my advice and happy shopping this sale season!   

A fourth year Biopharmaceutical Science student who's open to trying just about anything. I'm passionate about science, equestrian sports, and being involved in my community.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.