This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you could say one thing to your younger self, what would you say?

I remember being so nervous to do things like ride a bike for the first time, enter high school, and eventually leave high school to head off to university. Even now it’s still nerve-wracking to do things like making new friends, starting a new semester, or raising my hand in class if I have a question. However, over time, I’ve learned that sometimes things aren’t as scary as they might initially appear.

So with that, here are some of the things that members of Her Campus at uOttawa wish we could say to our younger selves that would have made the world seem a little less scary.

Dear Younger Us,

Everyone is just as nervous as you are. It may feel as though everyone is looking at you, but in reality, everyone is just as worried about themselves as you are.

You have to love yourself before you can receive the type of love you want from anyone else. The way you treat yourself sets the standard for how others choose to treat you. If you want that warm, gentle, and nourishing type of love, then you must first give that type of love to yourself.

Self-care is SO important!!! Ask for help when you need it. Romanticize that skincare routine. Go to that therapy session. Do that workout. Buy that book. Whatever you need to take care of your mental and physical health is never something to be ashamed of.

Your reactions are up to you! No one else has the power to ruin your day unless you allow them to! Only you have the power to ruin your own day. Take care of your energy! -Emily Crandall

Be more present! Try not to be so focused on the future and worry about little things that are out of your control! Just enjoy the present and find little things every day to be grateful for! -Katie Grierson

And finally,

Remember that it’s okay to make mistakes. It’s okay to “mess up,” but take those screw-ups as lessons and learn from them. We hope you reach for the stars :)

Sincerely,

Future Us

Emma Hefkey

U Ottawa '26

Emma is a second year criminology student at the University of Ottawa! She loves reading, travelling, art, and spending time with family!
Emily Crandall

U Ottawa '24

4th-year Communications and Sociology student at the University of Ottawa.
Katie Grierson

U Ottawa '25

Katie (she/her) is the Senior editor for the uOttawa chapter! When not writing, you can find her reading for her english lit degree, eating sushi, watching period dramas, and missing her dog! Her email is hgrie095@uottawa.ca