This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I read 52 books in 2022, and these are my favourite reads of the year, in no particular order. I wholeheartedly recommend you add all of them to your 2023 TBR!

the poppy war Series by R. F. Kuang

The Poppy War series follows war orphan Fang Runin (Rin) and her journey through military school and, eventually, war. Rin is one of the most compelling characters I have ever read. She is absolutely not a good person, yet you find yourself rooting for her. She embodies female rage in the most satisfying way possible. This series deals with colourism, wealth disparities, war atrocities, shamanism, gods, and much more. It’s definitely not for the weakhearted as it can be very gruesome (make sure to check trigger warnings before reading). This is one of the best fantasy series I have ever read, and my go-to book to recommend to everyone!

this woven kingdom by tahereh mafi

This Woven Kingdom is the start of an amazing high fantasy series inspired by Persian mythology. The prose in this book is beautiful, the characters are amazing, and the romance is immaculate. This book was a wonderful celebration of Persian culture that made me feel so represented. I was hooked from the beginning and can’t wait for the release of book two. If you want to get back into fantasy, this book is a great place to start!

the do-over by Lynn painter

Lynn Painter is the queen of romance and The Do-Over is no exception. The Do-Over is an adorable YA romance where the protagonist, Emilie, is stuck in a time loop of the worst valentine’s day of her life. This book had me giggling and grinning the whole time; I felt like I was young and in love. It also dealt with important familial issues, like the impact of divorce on the kid in the middle and how it makes them feel not being seen by their parents. If you want to smile, laugh, fall in love, and just have a fun time, pick up The Do-Over. I promise you won’t regret it!

the dead romantics by ashley poston

The Dead Romantics follows Florence, a ghostwriter, as she deals with the death of her father while also helping the ghost of her recently deceased book editor with his unfinished business so he can pass to the other side. I had never read a book where the protagonist falls for a ghost, but I can now say that if done right, it makes a wonderful story. This book dealt heavily with the theme of grief, and the way Florence portrayed grief after the death of her father truly touched my heart. Her relationship with her family, including her posthumous memories of her father, made me want to hug my family close and tell them I love them. This book really showed me the beauty of a life lived well and how death isn’t really an end, only a new beginning.

babel by r. f. kuang

I am pretty new to the dark academia genre, but I can guarantee you that Babel is nothing like any other dark academia book you have read. Babel presents academia beautifully while also questioning the racist systems that uphold it. This book shows the danger of white tears, and how even when they are in the wrong, white people love to victimize themselves. Kuang doesn’t sugarcoat the brutal reality of British colonialism. Babel is a celebration of language and the power it has. While it does show the dark truth behind academia, it doesn’t shy away from showing its beauty as well. A must-read—you will not be disappointed.

a dowry of blood by s. t. Gibson

A Dowry of Blood is a story told through letters written by Dracula’s wife, Constanta. It’s a story of great love and pain, one that depicts what it feels like to want something so bad even though it hurts you. This novel truly makes Dracula out to be a villain the protagonist can’t escape without losing her life. Hopelessness is an emotion that I really, truly felt when reading some of this book. I also felt like I knew what it was truly like to be intertwined with people and to love more than one person at once. This is a book that presents a tale in which souls are dimmed but agency is reclaimed and they glow brighter than ever. I truly enjoyed this book; it was a beautiful read!

The legendborn series by tracy deonn

When I read Legendborn a couple of years ago, I was blown away by how amazing of a book it was and I had high hopes for Bloodmarked, which I devoured in a matter of days this past year. The Legendborn series incorporates Arthurian legends and Black history to create a captivating tale of struggle and resilience. Bree (the protagonist) is proud of who she is, what she looks like, and her heritage, and she won’t let any tell her otherwise. This series has an addictive romance, plot twists galore, and doesn’t shy away from talking about racism. There are very few series that I consider to be phenomenal, but this one definitely meets the mark.

The spy X Family Series by Tatsuya Endo

SpyxFamily is an adorable manga series that follows the makeshift Forger family: Loid Forger, a spy who acts as the father, Yor Forger, an assassin who acts as the mother, and Anya Forger, a telepath who acts as their child. Loid is on a mission to prevent a war with the nation he comes from, and to gain access to one of the country’s top ministers he adopts Anya and enrolls her in the elite school the minister’s son attends. I couldn’t stop laughing when reading the series, it’s pure serotonin in book form!

Whether you’re an avid reader or you want to get into reading, these books are must-reads! I guarantee you’ll enjoy them.

Faith Dehghan

U Ottawa '23

Faith is a fourth-year student at uOttawa who is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Conflict Studies and Human Rights. You'll usually find her reading a book, she is a major fantasy and romance novel enthusiast!