This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

My fellow binge watchers know: ending a TV show and leaving your favourite characters behind is – at the risk of sounding dramatic – the worst kind of pain. Between comforting us when we’re sad to making us laugh, fictional characters mean a lot to us. While we can’t watch re-runs forever (debatable, actually) we can take the lessons we learn from our favourite episodes and keep them alive in our day-to-day. 

That’s how I feel about Supernatural, at least. After 15 years on the air, fans like myself said a final goodbye to Sam and Dean Winchester last November. To cope with the loss, I found myself looking to some of my favourite take-aways and quotes from the show. Dean’s lines, in particular – delivered by none other than Jensen Ackles – managed to stick with me. Here are 7 lessons I learned from this unforgettable character.

“Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole.” 

Obviously! As a passenger, I hated this rule. But now, as a driver, this guideline is the only thing that lets me play Taylor Swift on repeat without repercussions.

“Honestly, I think the world’s going to end bloody, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fight. We do have choices.” 

Dean may have been talking about the apocalypse, but this piece of advice can apply to anything really. I take it as, “you don’t know how life is going to turn out, it’s short, and it can be miserable, so make it what you want.” Make sure your life choices serve you, and only you. Fighting for your own happiness is what’s truly important. 

“We all have our demons.”

Ok, so this was about actual demons and monsters, but in my mind, it has another meaning. Even if you have your own personal struggles, don’t let them weigh you down. We all have something that burdens us, and you don’t have to let it control you. 

“Accidents don’t just happen accidentally” 

I think a lot of things in life can be chalked up to fate, and I believe everything happens for a reason. Whether that’s a good thing or not is up to you to figure out!

“Family don’t end with blood.” 

One of my favourite quotes, from one of my favourite fictional characters. Dean Winchester has gone to hell and back (quite literally) fighting for his family. But, to him, family doesn’t always mean blood. Chosen family is just as valid as blood relatives; in fact, people who are blood relatives don’t always feel like family. Your family is what you make it, and who you choose to create it with.  

“I need you to tell me that it’s okay.” 

This is one of the last things Dean says in the final episode of Supernatural. I think it’s an important reminder that it’s okay to need to ask for help when you need it. You don’t always need to hold on to everything yourself, and it’s perfectly fine to need others. 

“No matter how much it hurts, no matter how hard it gets, you got to keep grinding.” 

Giving up is never the answer. The answer is to always keep fighting. I remind myself of this every day, especially when times get tough. 

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.