This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Throughout history, women have used their voices as catalysts for meaningful social and political change. With International Women’s Day coming up on March 8th, I wanted to jump on the opportunity to profile six prominent feminist poets who have contributed to the classical and contemporary writing scene. These authors primarily deal with gender and sexuality issues, LGBTQ rights, identity, race, and body image. If poetry isn’t your thing, don’t stop here! I hope to convince you of the diverse range and forms of poetic verses these women incorporate into their work, along with the profound insight they can offer into embracing femininity. Who knows, maybe you’ll even find an author worthy enough to commemorate your 2021 International Women’s Day. 

1. Audre Lorde 

Audre Lorde was a self-described “black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet” who devoted her life to confronting racism, sexism, and homophobia through her writing and activism. Born in 1934, Lorde was a native New Yorker and the daughter of two immigrants. She became an internationally acclaimed activist whose published work speaks to the importance of liberation for racialized and marginalized peoples. Lorde’s poetry frequently calls for social and racial justice, and it captures the queer experience while enlightening readers about sexuality. Lorde’s most notable literary honours include a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts and being named poet laureate of New York from 1991-1992. 

While I haven’t read much Audre Lorde poetry, I highly suggest her book Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches —— it’s hard to believe the book was published in the 1980s, given its applicability today. Check out this article in The Oprah Magazine for five essential Audre Lorde books to add to your reading list. 

2. Andrea Gibson

Born August 13th, 1975, Andrea Gibson is an American poet and activist who focuses on gender norms, politics, social reform, and the struggles LGBTQ people face in today’s society. Gibson uses the gender-neutral pronouns of they/them, and in 2008, they became the first-ever person to win the Women of the World Poetry Slam. That same year, Gibson published their first book, Pole Dancing to Gospel Hymns, and has since added four more book publications along with a spoken-word album. In addition to poetry, they are also involved with many activist groups. In 2013, Gibson launched a website and support system called Stay Here With Me to provide youth with a safe discussion space regarding issues like trauma, mental illness, and suicidality. One of my favourite Andrea Gibson poems is The Day You Died Because You Wanted To (you can find the link to their spoken word performance here). This poem beautifully displays the emotion loved ones are left with when someone they love dies by suicide. 

photo of an open poetry book and a coffee.
Photo by Ena Marinkovic from Pexels

3. Amanda Gorman 

Amanda Gorman became a household name following President Joe Biden’s inauguration in January 2021, where she performed The Hill We Climb, becoming the youngest poet to read an inauguration poemBorn in 1998, Gorman is an American poet and activist whose work focuses on issues of oppression, feminism, race, and marginalization. In 2017, Gorman was named the first-ever youth poet laureate in the US; in February 2021, she received recognition on the Times Next 100 List. At just 22 years old, Gorman already has an impressive resume, with two best-selling books and a professional management contract. To read or listen to Amanda Gorman’s inauguration poem, click here.

4. Rupi Kaur 

Rupi Kaur is an Indian-born Canadian poet who rose to fame on Instagram and Tumblr through sharing her short work and illustrations. At 21, Kaur illustrated and self-published her first poetry collection, milk and honey (2014), followed by the sun and her flowers (2017). Together, these collections have sold over 8 million copies and have been translated into over 42 languages. Kaur’s work explores relationships, the immigrant experience, and sexual trauma, drawing influence from Sikh scriptures. Her writing style includes a complete lack of capital letters and just one form of punctuation, periods, which imitates features of Punjabi. Kaur released her third poetry collection this past fall, titled home body. The work explores a reflective and intimate journey in the form of raw conversations with oneself. 

An excerpt from the book can be found below: 

you look tired he says 

i turn to him and say 

yeah i’m exhausted 

i’ve been fighting misogyny for decades 

how else do you expect me to look 

-rupi kaur    

person holding a poetry book (black and white)
Photo by Martin Péchy from Pexels

5. Marge Piercy 

Marge Piercy, born in 1936, is an American poet and social activist whose work is rooted in her Jewish heritage and is primarily influenced by her activism and feminist ideals. Piercy took part in the civil rights movement and is a feminist, environmentalist, Marxist, and anti-war activist. She’s authored more than seventeen volumes of poems, one of which, The Moon is Always Female, is considered a feminist classic. Piercy’s poetry is highly personal and usually centred around feminist and social issues. Her work illustrates a commitment to social change, which in Judaic terms, is called Tikkun Olam. Piercy is praised for being one of the few American writers who’s accomplished in poetry and novel-writing. Her memoir Sleeping with Cats is one of her most notable works.  

6. Leyla Josephine 

Leyla Josephine, born in 1991, is a performance poet originally from Glasgow, Scotland. In 2014, her spoken-word piece about her own experience with abortion, I Think She Was A Shegained international attention, and was picked up by the Huffington Post and Upworthy. Later that same year, Josephine would go on to win the UK National Poetry Slam. This victory led Josephine to create a spoken-word show called Hopeless, which was nominated for the Amnesty International Freedom of Expression Award and was shortlisted by Saboteur Awards for Best Spoken Word Show. In 2019, Josephine launched another show titled Daddy Drag, which explores memories of her father centered around family dynamics, grief, and the various ways patriarchy disadvantages men. 

Well, that’s it! Thanks for following this article, and I hope you’ve found at least one author whose work you’re willing to explore further. Happy International Women’s Day – I hope you have plans to commemorate your March 8th in some way. 

Passionate about mental health, hiking, graphic designing, and poetry. Check out my book, "the art of an unpredictable life" https://amzn.to/2MXmioq
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!