You Completed Your Internship, Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

For many collegiettes, internships are starting to wind down. If you were lucky, you had an amazing experience and left knowing exactly what you want to do with your life.  But, you may have had an internship that was high stress and little fun. No matter your experience, chances are, you made several contacts during the run of your internship. These relationships may end up becoming very important aa you begin your future job hunt. Here’s a few tips to help you to maintain connections and make a lasting impression:

Say ‘Thank You’

• While it’s easy (especially if your experience was negative) to burst out of the office in joy on that last afternoon of your internship, it’s crucial to maintain contact with those people you’ve worked closely with over the past few months. Send a personalized thank-you note or email to your supervisors and colleagues who played a key role in your journey.  You’ll stand out and everyone will be impressed with your professionalism (trust us!). This will also help you stay connected for future employment opportunities. Don’t forget to take advantage of LinkedIn as an incredibly popular professional networking site. 

Don’t Forget the Execs!

• While you may not have been working with your company’s CEO, you most likely encountered a few executives at the company. If you don’t have a chance to make yourself known to them before the end of your internship, get their email addresses at a very minimum and send them a note after the fact talking about how much you enjoyed the internship and what you learned.  A gesture like this can’t hurt, and it will help you spread your name around the company.

Be Proactive

• As your internship begins to wind down, you might feel your work load becoming a bit lighter. How do you fill up those last few days without sitting at your desk, mindlessly staring at the computer screen? If your direct superior doesn’t have any more assignments for you, ask colleagues if you can assist them with any tasks.  At the end of the day, this internship is about you and what you can get out of it. No one is there to make sure you’re making the most out of your experience. This is a great way to take initiative and show you’re serious about this job.

Think To The Future

• Be sure to discuss potential future internships and employment opportunities before you head out the door. Set up a meeting with the Human Resources department to show your interest in returning to the company. At some companies, the HR department may offer to review resumes, which can help display you as a top candidate. While not all employees will be as welcoming or have the time to go over resumes individually, it doesn’t hurt to ask. It’s a great way to set yourself apart from other candidates.

Helpful Hint: Remember, no one is going to be advocating for you. YOU need to go out and be proactive and YOU have to take the initiative to make the most out of your internship experience. 

Elizabeth is a Senior at The University of Michigan and the Managing Editor of HC UMich. She is majoring in Communications, Screen Arts and Cultures and minoring in Writing. When she's not writing for HC, she works for the Big Ten Network Student U.                
Caroline is a junior at the University of Michigan, studying Communications & Writing. She was born and raised a Jersey girl but attends school in the Midwest and now lives out West in Arizona.  In her free time, Caroline enjoys playing tennis, reading James Patterson novels, cheering on the Wolverines at the Big House, lounging in the Arizona sunshine, and snuggling with her boxer puppy.