Wolverine Weekends with Caroline: Under the Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Looking for something fresh and exciting to fill up your weekends with?  We know Sundays in college are religiously reserved for catching up on piles of homework assignments, responsibilities from clubs and activities, and those lengthy lists of chores and errands that we somehow managed to neglect during our hectic weeks.  That isn’t to say we’re not allowed to relax, let loose, and pretend like college is a four-year party on our weekends, either!  Check out my photo blog for some creative, festive, and enjoyable ways to make the most of those sacred “days off.”  

Last Saturday night, my friends and I were amongst a crowed of 114,804 fans who piled into the “Big House” to witness history in the making.  The University of Michigan Wolverines defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in an exhilarating, nerve-wracking, and heart-pounding finish during Michigan Stadium’s first “Under the Lights” night game!  

As a member of the Big 10 conference, Michigan prides itself on football, so imagine how exciting it was to have ESPN College GameDay come to Ann Arbor on Saturday Morning for their weekly college football show!  My roommate and I were up at the crack of dawn putting on our “Hail” leggings, tying maize and blue ribbons in our ponytails, and sticking on “block M” face tattoos in preparation for the biggest game day in Michigan’s history.  We squeezed our way up to the front of the crowd at the ESPN show and even managed to make it on national television holding up our “Beat the Irish” signs.

After a long, fun-filled afternoon of tailgating, dancing, and watching the Michigan Marching Band practice, game time finally rolled around at 8pm. As we watched the battle unfold on the field below, our voices became hoarse from cheering at the top of our lungs and our arms tired from continuously waving pop-poms back and forth; it never felt better to be a Michigan Wolverine surrounded in a sea of maize.  The final five minutes were unbelievable; after trailing behind Notre Dame, Michigan scored a touchdown in the last 25 seconds to come out victorious.  The student section erupted and immediately dove into celebration.  All you could hear upon exiting the stadium gates were thousands chanting, “It’s great to be a Michigan Wolverine!”

This was truly the best college football experience I’ve had so far at Michigan.  I encourage all of you collegiettes™ to attend an athletic event to bond with your school and create memories that will last a lifetime. 

Caroline is a junior at the University of Michigan, studying Communications & Writing. She was born and raised a Jersey girl but attends school in the Midwest and now lives out West in Arizona.  In her free time, Caroline enjoys playing tennis, reading James Patterson novels, cheering on the Wolverines at the Big House, lounging in the Arizona sunshine, and snuggling with her boxer puppy.