Why You Should Switch To A Safety Razor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Content Warning: This article contains information regarding and pertaining to razors, razor blades, and their uses in shaving.

The word “safety” is misleading—safety razors are called safety razors because they were meant to be distinguished from the commonly used straight razors, which mimic a folding knife. Safety razors aren’t actually safer than any other blade you might use—and it’s to be noted that they’re not in any way more dangerous—but the design has been around for decades and is proven to be better than more recent multi-blade razors.

It’s Cheaper

Safety razors are built to last—they’re typically made with a steel handle and compartment where you place the blade. Once you buy the frame for the razor, which usually comes with a pack of blades, the only aspect of this razor you replace is the blade, which is often sold in packs of 10 to 100.

Here is a 50 count of blades from Amazon for $9.88.

Leaf has safety razors and bundles from $59 and UpCircle has safety razors from $24.99

You get a better shave

Shaving with a safety razor reduces skin irritation, shave bumps, and ingrown hairs that you might get from store-bought plastic or electric razors. The main reason that shaving with a safety razor is more pleasant is that you only have one blade against your skin at any time, as opposed to razors that boast a plethora of blades that actually increase irritation

Because of the shape of the safety razor, the blade is flush against your skin, minimizing the chances of nicking yourself or missing patches of hair.

Your shave lasts longer

I began using the UpCircle safety razor since Nov. 2021 and immediately noticed that my usually shaving schedule had been cut down by half.

This has to do with getting a better shave from safety razors: because of the closeness, of the shave, it’s less noticeable when hair grows back, and if you shave regularly, your hair will eventually start growing back more slowly.

It’s Environmentally Friendly

When you use a safety razor, you’re not disposing of an entire plastic razor when your blades start to dull. Instead, you can just switch out the dull blade for a new one.

While you’re still using and disposing of multiple blades, razor blades are recyclable and are often accepted by most retailers who recycle metal. In Ann Arbor, the Bring Your Own Container Store (BYOC Co.) accepts used razor blades that they will recycle for you in bulk.

While switching to a safety razor may seem scary at first—How do I hold it? What if I cut myself? How do I shave down there?—the benefits of making the switch are worth the extra time it may take you to adjust to the new, heavier, differently shaped device.

Anna is a student at the University of Michigan pursuing a dual-degree in English and Creative Writing and Literature with a minor in Polish Language, Literature, and Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus UMich chapter.