Why You Should Learn Ukrainian Right Now and How You Can Spend Time Learning a Language as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Hi everyone! Have you ever wondered what it would be like to learn a language? Have you ever answered that idea with, “I wish, but I just don’t have time.” Well, maybe you do. As most have seen on the news, there is a mighty struggle in Ukraine currently against Russia. To be honest, before this I never really saw myself learning the Ukrainian or even Russian language- I saw no need. I didn’t really plan on visiting either country, which is completely off the table now. But perhaps more than ever, maybe learning the language could be a good thing. And, here’s why.

Connect with Refugees and Survivors

Quite an understatement, Ukraine’s people are going through a very hard time right now. What better way to show support than to start learning about the culture, heritage, and language of the people? Not everyone can donate, but everyone can reach out to those who are struggling and offer support. Plus, in a way, it could feel like “helping the good fight” ideologically, all the way over here in the U.S.

And, Ukraine has so much music, history, and people to learn about and connect with, the possibilities are endless when it comes to ways of interacting with the language. 

—-

That takes me to how yes, you really can learn a language as a college student. 

Let’s Look at How

1. Set aside 10 minutes a day. That’s it. 10 minutes. Do a couple of duolingo lessons perhaps, or watch a set of beginners lessons on Youtube or any other beginner series on any platform really. The key is consistency. If you like your progress and studying the language, you’re naturally going to carve out more time to learn it. You just need a good start to grow that motivation. 
  2. Watch a show or listen to music. On your way to class, maybe put a Ukrainian song in your playlist. Even put a Ukrainian version of your favorite Disney song, you might find better concentration hearing a song you already know. 
  3. Keep a journal/Speak or text online. This gives you a way to practice implementing everything you learn, plus you can meet new people and if you’re writing your ideas, see your progress. On a 5 minute break, introduce yourself to a native in their language, and see where that conversation takes you. HelloTalk and Tandem are good apps for this, but with the current situation in Ukraine, many discord groups found on the Ukrainian/Ukraine subreddits have native speakers offering free lessons/practice to those who wish to learn. 

If you can’t donate to Ukraine, consider offering support to Ukrainians directly. Learn some new skills, make some new friends, and support the protection of a country’s culture and safety that is under attack. <3

Allie DiGennaro

Vanderbilt '25

Allie is currently a freshman at the University of Michigan in the LSA. She is considering Computer Science and French Horn Performance. In her free time, she plays her French Horn, her Nintendo Switch, and hangs out with any dog she can find in the diag. Her dream vacation would be either touring every single Disney park around the world for three days each (except for Disney World- this would take two weeks!) or exploring a national park in every single state on a road trip.