What’s New In Entertainment: Real Steel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Upon arriving in the theatre, I can’t say I expected much more from Real Steel than a ridiculous plot line and some good looking actors.  However, after watching the film, I realized I had not given the movie enough credit.  I was impressed with not only Hugh Jackman and his love interest Evangeline Lilly’s performances but also with Dakota Goyo who played Jackman’s abandoned son.

Set in the future, Charlie Kenton (played by Jackman) is forced to adapt to the world of boxing as it switches from a human on human sport to a human controlled robot battle.  At first the premise seems silly and it takes a few scenes to get in to, but after ten minutes the audience forgets that robot boxing is a foreign concept. 

Charlie was a successful boxer and within the first few scenes it is clear that he is not nearly as talented at controlling robots.  After the death of an ex-lover, Charlie’s illegitimate son, Max, is thrust on him for a summer.  Max tags along as Charlie travels the country trying to win back the money he owes to friends and enemies alike.  With the help of the son he abandoned, Charlie learns what it takes to make it to the top. 

Real Steel is an inspirational, feel good film that is worth seeing.  Its plot may be a bit tacky, but in the end it is entertaining.  It is a well shot movie, exhilarating, and relatable.  Incorporating action, adventure, drama, and love, Real Steel will appeal to almost everyone. 

While Real Steel is most likely destined to blend in with the numerous robot films that have been storming the box office (it is already listed among the many on wikipedia’s robot film page), I still recommend it.  Even though the robot genre has been done before, the message and story that are merely supported by the plot are worth seeing time and again.  

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.