What We Wish We Knew Freshmen Year: UMich Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ah, freshmen year. Whether you’re dealing with living in a dorm in Markley the size of a closet or commuting from CC Little to the artic tundra also known as North Campus; avoiding the temptation of unlimited soft-serve and “M”-printed waffles or trying not to use up all of your Blue Bucks; stressing about applying to Ross or just trying to figure out what you want to major in, your first year at Michigan can be one of the most exciting and overwhelming times in a youngin’s life.  Here are some tips from upperclassmen on campus to the 7,000+ newest additions to campus!

“Get to know your professors even in the classes in big lecture halls. They like to get to know their students, and it could potentially help in the future if you’re struggling in a class. It also shows you care about the class.”

-Rebecca Daalemen, sophomore

“Try to join Greek Life first semester.”

-Alex Bloomquist, junior

“Don’t drunk text boys.”

-Emily Schlaeger, sophomore

“Actually get involved! You’ll meet some of your best friends. Try to find co-ed clubs/associations, cause that’s a great way to meet guys.”

-Carrie Wagner, sophomore

“When in doubt, shave your legs.”

-Lauren Halperin, sophomore

“Don’t live on North Campus.”

-Sarah Burkhardt, sophomore

“North Campus is the best!”

-Alyssa Gorenberg, sophomore

“Jump on a Commuter South bus, hit up the Salvation Army and stock up on A LOT of $5 frackets for going out.”

-Sara Stolow, sophomore

“Go to office hours much more often than you’d want to.”

-Sara Maggin, sophomore

“Respond to your mom’s text messages.”

-Danielle Jacobson, sophomore

“Do a giant haul at Forever 21 before you go back to school.”

-Sari Rosenfeld, sophomore

“Don’t be afraid to look at joining too many clubs right away. Check out a bunch and see what’s right for you!”

-Hilary Forrest, sophomore

Have any daunting questions about life at U of M? Post them in the comments below or tweet us @HerCampusUMich!

Rebecca Lawson is the Managing Editor (former Editor in Chief) of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior in the University of Michigan School of Information's new Bachelor of Science in Information program, and is also pursuing Michigan's Program in Entrepreneurship certificate. After graduation, she will be working as an Associate Consultant for Microsoft in the Seattle area. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @abovethelawson! And be sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram @hercampusumich!